Large marine engine factory photos

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

shayloco

Large marine engine factory photos

Post by shayloco »

Some large scale work being performed here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Wi ... ng_Process
Note the large tracer oxy-acetylene torch cutting very thick metal slabs for crankshafts components.
Huge factory floor full of machinery.
Steggy

Re: Large marine engine factory photos

Post by Steggy »

shayloco wrote:Some large scale work being performed here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Wi ... ng_Process
Note the large tracer oxy-acetylene torch cutting very thick metal slabs for crankshafts components.
Huge factory floor full of machinery.
Also notice that almost no one is wearing eye protection around the various machine tools. :shock: :o
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The similarity between steam and diesel engine structure and manufacturing in that transition period is remarkable.
Excellent photo history, and fascinating to see.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Their approach to safety is interesting. I particularly like the old guy standing in a narrow gap between the automated torch table and the giant, multi-ton workpiece poised on wobbly, bent steel legs.

The boring operation is impressive. Depth of cut looks to be around half an inch.

Notice how great everyone looks. No saggy pants with underwear hanging out. No convict beards. No convict tattoos. No body modifications. No obscene T-shirts. No purple hair. Nobody has a collection of metal dumbbells hanging out of his lips. No one in the photos looks like a freak who just escaped from hell.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Not many of us get to stand INSIDE our work as we are working on it.

Yea, I noticed the lack of safety glasses. Also, lots of long sleeves. Yikes!

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

This tour is so great, I don't know what to say. Following the building of a large crankshaft, the individual parts are made then they are machined. At some point they go to the vertical shaper and the woman machinist appears. She appears to be setting up the keys to lock the crank pins in each section which suspend the piston rods. I guess once that was checked, the vertical rotary shaper finished the semi circular, outside machining of those lobes because that appears to be her next appearance. Her hair is in a tight bun and nothing dangling.
Hat tip to Steve G about mentioning stuff like that.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

When you have to walk on the tool post, there is where I draw the line.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX