Hawaii Railway Society

In this forum, users are encouraged to share great places to see in their area. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting! Pictures of the venue are also welcome.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Hawaii Railway Society

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The Hawaiian Railway Society is looking for volunteer machinists, any skill level, to support 36” gauge historical railway operations on Oahu. The Rwy Society backshops maintains and restores both steam and diesel era locomotives and original rolling stock from the original, plantation era, Oahu Railway and Land Company, and later WW2 naval railway operations around leeward Oahu. You could be either a visitor or full time resident. Main requirement is have an interest in participating in and sustaining machine shop operations. If interested shoot me a PM for more details.

Thanks much,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Re: Hawaii Railway Society Machinist Group

Post by NP317 »

Glenn: Are you getting involved with them?
(heh heh...)
~Russ
Glenn Brooks

Re: Hawaii Railway Society Machinist Gro

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, well,sort of. Iam volunteering some time to put their equipment back into service. Also see if there are any hobbyists who would like to participate in back shop operations. People that volunteer can use the shop for their own projects.

They have a nice Cincinanitti 18x72 tray top lathe that’s been sitting for years unused. The bed is 12’ long! It’s almost ready to make chips. Few more days cleanup and an oil change, maybe a new tool post.
27D01E87-AE53-47CF-81F8-F3DD48FE149D.jpeg
45D51662-5806-4A48-9ED9-45E9557B9056.jpeg
They also have a nice little SB 9x36 Model A (quick change gear box). Also an old time 21” Buffalo Forge camel back drill press, with a huge collection of large and long Morris (Morse?) taper drill bits - one is around 1.5” diameter and three feet long. Also a massive hydrolic shear and a big hydrolic press. Just discovered a 16” shaper, 6” Ammco shaper, and a functional Burke #4 horizontal mill covered in dust stored up in the overhead rack. Not ideal for milling, but good enuf in the days of steam powered sugar cane mills. better than nothing!

Rebuilding full size brake cylinders and pouring 36” NG axle Babbitt bearings are a far cry from turning dinky little 1.5” scale castings, as you know!! :D

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Thanks for that report. It's a good thing that operation is outside my personal range, or I'd be there.
~Russ
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

A few photos of Hawaii Railroad tractive power and rolling stock. So far, I’ve learned that railroading on Oahu had three distinct “tracks” from inception in the early 1880’s till the end in 1948:

1) plantation railways - short lines supporting sugar cane and pineapple production (1880-1930)
2) Oahu railway and Land Company - regularily scheduled rail service, moving people and freight from Honolulu throughout Leeward to major, surviving plantations, and up the Ewa Plain to Haleiwa on the North Shore. (??1915-1948)
3) Military Rail Service linking Pearl Harbor and supporting facilities. (1930-1948)

I need to look more closely into these dates. The OR&L was chartered initially in the plantation era, by the Kingdom of Hawaii, and ran sort of an intermodal mode side by side with the Naval railway service during World War II.

All trackage on Oahu was 36” narrow gauge.

Since the 1970’s the railway society has been consolidating and restoring the remanants of Oahu’s earlier railroad infrastructure residents. All motive the power power and rolling stock in the photos below, were originally used in operational service, either on plantations, or common carrier service, or with the Military. The diesel switchers showed in the photos date from 1941 and still operate with their original D series Cummins engines. Very cool to hear these fire up and run.
9E6BE2A5-7061-4D90-B8C2-570DAD7D5009.jpeg
13F2B4E9-1D64-4359-AA8F-4AC601583925.jpeg
F1F1DC64-7922-477D-A97D-7803E9C7F99B.jpeg
325CA943-9C16-4619-85E0-66A1C589F7BC.jpeg
B3D5C022-0D23-4889-A28E-AC4030E0E6CC.jpeg
4BB02A0A-95E7-4B29-A566-AC7D6C9B600E.jpeg
29F358D1-563C-4732-A54B-01E22668C932.jpeg
3FD86B84-300F-4A86-9CC6-F38732BE3A1E.jpeg
A2401560-F739-44F6-9D1C-192181C39F86.jpeg

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Fascinating to see how the Oahu railroad equipment has been collected and restored/preserved.
My last visit there was perhaps 20 years ago, and I spent time following old roadbed and looking for the surviving equipment.

My Wife's great uncle was John Hungerford who wrote the first book on Hawaiian railroads. We inherited some photo collections and other materials from him, including many black & white photos of the Oahu rail system in it's heyday. Even some shots of the Honolulu roundhouse full of steamers! Some of these photos have not been published, at least in the 4 or 5 books available on the Hawaiian Railroads. I need to visit the Honolulu RR Historical Society and hand these photos over to them!
Sounds like a good winter trip for next year.

Thanks for sharing your photos and information.
~RN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ,

Iam sure they would welcome your contributions. One of the volunteers acts as an historian and of course they all are interested in preserving what is left of the early era. Your photos would be fascinating.

Apparently a good deal of the original ROW still exists. Much of it was deeded in fee and still in use when the early neighborhoods were being surveyed - hence the property lines, especially for the large housing tracks. Between Eva Beach and downtown Honolulu were laid out around the rail system. Hence the rail corridor still survives in many places. A few bridges and trestle foundations are still in good shape around the north end of the island. Most importantly, the leeward stretch of track from Eva to Waianae gives the society an active roadbed for their current scheduled rail service. Pretty amazing how many people find their way out to the railyard on Wednesdays and Sunday’s. It’s the ice cream stop at the far end of the line I think. :D

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
I also traced original roadbed on the NW shore or Oahu.
I could see remains of small bridges over ditches, in front of newer homes on that north shore. I wonder what remains today.
So much railroad history there.

In 1983 my wife and I found a former Kahului Railroad (Maui) steam locomotive sitting outside the Chama, NM roundhouse. It was the last steamer to run commercially on Maui.
It was originally from the SP Keeler narrow-gauge branch in SE California. I believe that loco ended up the Idaho Silverwood Theme Park.
Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

Now I see that Locomotive #9 (36" gauge 4-6-0 w/ whale-back tender) is restored and running at Laws, Nevada. That's a road trip I wish to take soon, to see that sparce territory. Imagine what a 2-day round trip through the Owens Valley desert to Keeler and back must have been for the Train Crew!

All connected.
~RN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, Iam told many of those small abutments and bridges do indeed still exist. Might be the railway still owns the ROW. I know they are holding on to as much of the original grant as possible on the eastern end - nearest Pearl Harbor, as insurance against disruption of the active mainline by commercial development projects and State agencies. And wish to extend the current end of track to recapture as much of the original line up the NW coast as possible. The ROW is the lifeline of the entire operation.

I think you may be correct, that the Kahului loco is now at Silverwood.

Iam not familiar with #9 in Nevada, but could ask around about it, if you wish. I’ll see the Society historian on Tuesday.

Also, one other early day Hawaii loco,the Olomana, a Baldwin 0-4-2t, built in 1883, and the first steam powered machine in Hawaii, if I remember correctly, is now on display at the Pennsy RR Museum, across the street from the Strasburg RR in Lancaster Co, Pa. Not sure why it is displayed at Strasburg, but the museum has done a superlative restoration.
4F7DFC4E-8591-4895-B823-F325CD44BB77.jpeg
49818FC8-E172-4D55-B423-3C6BF00C4055.jpeg
964AB7DF-E13C-40A2-A5AA-835CEA948588.jpeg
ADABA468-03E8-497A-B3D8-6BD310442247.jpeg
Should you decide to vacation in Hawaii, don’t hesitate to plan on spending some time at the Ewa museum shops, if you wish. They are very accommodating of visiting volunteers. In fact their #6 steam loco is fully functional, but needs a TI to assess what might need to be rebuilt for passenger operation.

Everyone that is interested is welcome to volunteer, even if for a day or two.

Glenn

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks, Glenn.
Fun to consider a Tourist Trip to Oahu.
I suspect I can easily convince my non-traveler wife to make that trip!

SP #9 in Laws, NV, is original to that Owens Valley RR operation. I don't believe it ever made it to the Hawaiian Islands.
A remarkable story in its own right.
~RN
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

SP #9 is still on static display at the Laws Museum near Bishop, CA. SP #18 is the one that was recently restored, and was temporarily brought to the Laws museum to run at a one-off event. Neither have been in Hawaii.

The reason Olomana is at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum is that Gerald Best donated it to the Smithsonian, who then later loaned it to the Pennsylvania Railroad museum in what was supposed to be a temporary arrangement, but has become more or less permanent.

The other two Hawaiian locomotives Gerald had a hand in importing are Chloe (Pokaa) and The Doctor (now Deanna).

After being partially restored by Francis Moseley, The Doctor passed on to George Thagard who runs it occasionally on a very small track around his house and at other 3ft gauge railroads in California.

Disney Animator Ward Kimball restored Pokaa and named it after his daughter, Chloe Kimball. Chloe ran at Ward Kimball's Grizzly Flats Railroad until Ward donated most of his railroad equipment to the Orange Empire Railroad Museum. Recently Chloe was fired up and test ran briefly at the Hillcrest Shops in Reedley, CA., but will need a new boiler in order to operate around the public. (the original boiler is a riveted lap-seam boiler.)

Here are pictures of the other two. They are both from the Waimanolo sugar plantation.
Attachments
Deanna #1
Deanna #1
Deanna #2
Deanna #2
Chloe
Chloe
Chloe Builder's Photo
Chloe Builder's Photo
At Grizzly Flats.  Gerald Best is on the ground, with Ward in the cab window and Chloe Kimball in the gangway.
At Grizzly Flats. Gerald Best is on the ground, with Ward in the cab window and Chloe Kimball in the gangway.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Chloe and Olomana operating together at Grizzly flats. The event was believed to be a 'last run' for Olomana before heading to the Smithsonian.

Bill of sale for Pokaa (Chloe) from Gerald to Ward. What a deal!
Attachments
a98dae96.jpg
eboy3bw4.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada