Reasonably priced metals supplier in Washington?

This forum is intended for users to share places/vendors/surplus centers etc., to visit of machining/metalworking interest. Please be sure to list Name of the venue, City & State, Operating hours, a review and a web link if possible. The intent is so that those planning a trip or visiting your area might be interested in visiting!

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Reasonably priced metals supplier in Washington?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Anybody know of a metal supply house in the Seattle area that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for Aluminium, CR steel, or brass?
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
JackF

Re: Reasonably priced metals supplier in Washington?

Post by JackF »

Glen, I just ran across this post so you may not need any suggestions now. :shock: But, I used to visit a recycle yard, Fletchers, on hiway 169 in Kent. I found chunks of steel, alum brass and other stuff by schrounging through the yard. He sold the recycle part of the yard but it was still there before I moved 2 years ago. You might try some other recycle yards although many only buy and don't sell. You also might try some machine shops and see if they will sell some drops. Some metal supply stores also sell drops. :)

Hope this helps.

Jack.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Reasonably priced metals supplier in Washington?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Jack, still looking for reasonable price material. I'll go look for Fletcher's and see if they are still there. I've heard about a recycle yard on the south end ,, but never had a name, and don't get into Kent only once a year if that. So will go look see. Iam closer to Everett, but the yards are few and far between these days, and all have high prices it seems, even though the scarp price isn't even worth gas money for the scrapers.

Appreciate the lead!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....