Show your Park Gauge train

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
LVRR2095

Re: Show your Park Gauge train

Postby LVRR2095 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:40 am

And did you know that the Cagney Brothers had an 18" gauge steam powered pacific!
They had it built by the Company for Railway Industry in Breslau, Germany and it ran at 200 psi boiler pressure!
It was used first in New Jersey along the Jersey shore. Later it was sold to an amusement park in Connecticut.

Many years ago I knew Bob Parr the last living employee of the Cagney Brothers. He still had the machine tools from the Cagney firm and he operated a 15" gauge Class D that was owned by Mrs. Lillian Cagney, the widow of Charles L. Cagney.

Keith
Attachments
b3_1_b.jpg
German built Cagney
b3_1_b.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 434 times

John Landrum

Postby John Landrum » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:12 pm

SAM_4893.JPG

Keith, thought you would like to see the picture of the steam outline, gasoline Cagney operating around the camp in Pennsylvania. This is what they sent me this week!

John Landrum

Postby John Landrum » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

SAM_4895.JPG
Right side view. I recall now, after digging about in my archives that there was a suit between McGonnigle and Cagney. It seems Cagney objected to McGonnigle building these engines on his own under the Industrial railway equipment name but it turned out that his contract with Cagney allowed him to do so and the court ruled in his favor. He built them for Cagney under a label much as some canned foods are produced under the special name label for grocery stores. He retained the rights to build and sell them himself.

LVRR2095

Postby LVRR2095 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 pm

John Landrum wrote:SAM_4895.JPG Right side view. I recall now, after digging about in my archives that there was a suit between McGonnigle and Cagney. It seems Cagney objected to McGonnigle building these engines on his own under the Industrial railway equipment name but it turned out that his contract with Cagney allowed him to do so and the court ruled in his favor. He built them for Cagney under a label much as some canned foods are produced under the special name label for grocery stores. He retained the rights to build and sell them himself.

Peter and Thomas McGarigle were related to Timothy Cagney by marriage. Their sister Winifred married Col. Tim Cagney.
And actually the suit between the Cagney Brothers and I.R.&L was ruled in the Cagney's favor.

Keith

John Landrum

Postby John Landrum » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Keith, I defer to you. I did not have the copy of the court docs in front of me but I do have them somewhere. It is as you say.

This appears to be a later engine than Cinder Belle as it has some features not found on mine. I refer to the rivets on the fire box. Like Cinder Belle, this one seems to have lost her rear truck somewhere along the way. The old man who had run Cinder Belle when she began life in park service told my father that the rear truck did not track well and would not stay on the track so it was gotten rid of early on, mid 1920's or so, The truck she has now, Dad and I fabricated in the mid 1980's.

Do you know how late these engines were produced? Cinder Belle dates from 1922 and was purchased new that year by Kidd Springs Park but I have no idea how long they were made or how long under the Cagney name as opposed to IR&L. Any thoughts?

utahwestie

Postby utahwestie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Here are 3 out of the 4 grand scale 24" gauge locos......

we have a Crown locomotive that we are going to restore back to running condition.

A second Crown,the "Nevada Girl" , a Crown locomotive ex Mills Park, Carson City, Nevada

Our 5" scale B40-8

Our Railroad located just out side of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Attachments
crown1.jpg
crown2.jpg
nevada girl.jpg
nevada girl2.jpg
b40-8.jpg
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah

Glenn Brooks

Postby Glenn Brooks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am

Anthony, Quite a roster! Can you tell us more about your RR? Who built the B40??

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....

John Landrum

Postby John Landrum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:13 am

Very nice! Anthony

Return to “Grand Scale Railroading”