12" working railroad

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12" working railroad

Post by rkcarguy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Well I didn't get much done over the holidays, the garage as been freezing, and I was going to make my front grille frame from one solid piece of aluminum and adhere the expanded metal to the back of it. Sadly, after I measured the HO scale Athearn S-12, the piece of aluminum I need for the grille scales out 1/4" wider than what I have:(
So it will be back to the remnant rack at the metal vendor to see if I can find a little bit bigger piece.

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am

I made a little progress over the last weekend, and got the "step boxes" made that go on the side of the body forward of the cab. I still need to make the little steps that bolt on their forward ends from some angle though.
In my truck sides thread, the first run of truck parts arrived from the laser cutter, which will be used for my riding car. I've decided the riding car will be a 34' 7-rib great northern hopper car, which I drew up in AutoCAD yesterday during lunch. I wanted to keep things short in length, tall enough to have some sides to sit down in, but not too tall such that it was hard to get into. After finding some dimensions online, it seems like the 34' hopper is the logical choice. I'll have to leave the forward part of the angled bulkhead out, for my feet to go and the cables/wiring/air to come through for the locomotive controls.
We've had some terrible weather as of late, freezing rain, snow, ice, so I haven't got my lake boat moved out of the garage yet. Plan is to get my 20' of track on some framing at a good working level, get out the MIG welder and start the framework for the locomotive and riding car. A couple days ago the price dropped on the UCF-205-16 flanged bearings I'm using from Amazon, 10 pcs for $49.99 with free shipping with Prime, so I grabbed them. Now I have the locomotive plus riding car covered and two extra's.

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 am

S12body.jpg
S12steps.jpg
S12stepscrews.jpg
Here is the step boxes. These aren't that big but sure took along time to make. As these form an inside corner, there will be no access once they are attached to the body so I had to file all the rivets flush and get all the edges broken beforehand. I also drilled and tapped a couple 4-40 holes, so I can attach the step/tread that bolts onto the front of these.

And here is a picture of the right hand one attached. She's starting to look like a train instead of a box! :D