12" working railroad

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
NP317

Re: 12" working railroad

Post by NP317 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:54 am

Looking good!
~RN

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 pm

I had some fail today, I took some measurements last night for couple strips of aluminum to shear up and then took the wrong material with me to work.....040" instead of .060". No train work tonight:(

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Well I got the pieces cut from the *right* material and got them riveted in. I don't want the grille frame to grow lumps between the screws as its pretty thin material, so I'm going to remove it tonight, transfer all the holes to the mesh grille piece so I can shear and punch it to fit, then rough up one side of the grille frame and JB weld it to the body. Hope I have enough JB...
Also got another freebie from work. We built a gate awhile ago, which called for 3/8x1 flat bar infill in it. The bars were bent during handling and couldn't be straightened to be "architecturally" acceptable, and just sat outside rusting since August. My boss gave me the ok to take it home(it's my rail size), so I've got enough for another 40' of track:)

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Not much to post as of late. The new CNC plasma table at work is up and running, but we are super busy so I haven't had any time to get any parts made yet. I want to re-do my truck sides in plate, and the complexity of the design I came up with should really be laser cut or at least plasma cut and etched so I get the bolt holes and slots in the right places. My design is a rigid inner frame of plate and pipe, with pockets grabbing the tops of the springs and vertical slotted holes, then the truck sides with pockets grabbing the lower end of the springs, which bolt onto the inner frame with 4 bolts per side(just snug) and thrust washers so the truck sides can articulate up and down in the slots and twist to stay on track.
I think I'll re-purpose the channels I had made originally for my truck sides with the pillow block bolt patterns, as a stand for checking/grinding my wheel sets, and a small MOW car, possibly for grinding the 1/8" radius on my FB rails.