Show your Park Gauge train

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
chooch

Re: Show your Park Gauge train

Post by chooch »

Glenn Brooks.
Are these considered Park trains/
Not Steam but, I wonder if you know of the 16" MTC Diesel train Now at the Sanford, Fla zoo. This MTC has been at the zoo about five years as best I can remember.
-------------------
There was another train there many, Many years ago also. I would say, maybe 30 yrs ago. I know nothing about it except there was a train there. I just moved to Fla 24 yrs ago, no train, no information, maybe a couple pieces of rail somewhere in the outback.
----------------
I also wonder if you know the old Friends Models back in Danvers, Mass operated steam and Diesel at 7-1/4" gauge as a Park train in a couple places in that area a few years. Some of that equipment is still in use I'm Mass. at the Waushakum live steamers club. Some cars and The Hudson steam loco ( I`m not Sure, is said to be the original reconditioned). Two diesels engines and some cars are, and have been in storage so to speak, in another state.
I`m not sure of the scale of Diesels, said to be 1-1/2" but looks a little larger to me. Maybe 2-21/2"? One Alco FA-1 is a sit IN engine.
Regards.
Chooch
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Chooch, thanks for the info on the trains you mentioned in the Florida area. Iam on the left coast so not to familiar with Florida miniature railroads. Maybe someone from the area can offer more info.

To differentiate from the various live steam hobby gauges, 'Park Guage' often refers to 12" to 24" gauge purpose built, and sometimes themed train rides for amusement park passenger carrying purposes. Of course there is no iron clad rule here, as there are some very nice examples of 7 1/2" ga providing very fine service as park gauge equipment, as you noted. Also the larger gauges, such as 18" and 24" gauge, indeed all the park gauges, have been used in active narrow gauge commercial railway operation at one time or other. Two notable examples are the Romney, Dimchurch, and Hythe 15" gauge railway in England, and the extensive 3,000 mile+ 60cm (24" ga) trench railway system operated by both the alleys and axis powers throughout the western front in World War 1.

Th G-16 diesel outline train you may have seen and ridden on in Flordia was perhaps the most successful commercial 'Park Guage' amusement park train ever built. Although the Cagney Brothers 15" 4-4-0 steamer in its day was as wildly popular, perhaps even more so, with over 3000 train sets produced and sold worldwide from 1885 through the late 1920's or early '30's.

Thankfully there are still people around who enjoy preserving and restoring these old classics!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
chooch

Post by chooch »

Glen Brooks,
Thank you for reply and Larger scale park trains. I do understand somewhat the Larger scales just in general, but then I am more a little guy in 1-1/2 inch. :-) But, my mention of the smaller gauge (old Friends Models) was just in case it might be of interest somehow.
I will have to look back for some Old info about another loco I "think" was 2 foot, gas powered that was a regular park type steam loco. Be patient, I`m slow.
regards,
chooch
Slipped Eccentric

Post by Slipped Eccentric »

chooch wrote:Glenn Brooks.
Are these considered Park trains/
Not Steam but, I wonder if you know of the 16" MTC Diesel train Now at the Sanford, Fla zoo. This MTC has been at the zoo about five years as best I can remember.
-------------------
There was another train there many, Many years ago also. I would say, maybe 30 yrs ago. I know nothing about it except there was a train there. I just moved to Fla 24 yrs ago, no train, no information, maybe a couple pieces of rail somewhere in the outback.

Regards.
Chooch
Have a little bit of knowledge of the missing train. There were at least two that ran there. One was early on and was a steam outline that no one seems to know much about.

http://www.pbase.com/image/131257670

Then next was an Allen Herschell S24 two foot gauge setup.

http://www.pbase.com/image/119138083

The second engine and two cars are in the Wilkes-Barre area now and undergoing a slow restoration at the moment. My father also spent some time working on the G16 on the grounds now after someone hit the nose with a truck. Quite a few years ago my father also restored a G16 that used to run at Nay Aug park in Scranton and that now sits in the museum at Steam town awaiting installation of the track.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Chooch,

I vaguely remember Friends Models from years ago. I think they used to advertise in Live Steam a lot, pre internet days. We were to isolated in Alaska then to have much first hand exposure to the various builders and suppliers...

Great follow up fromSlipped Eccentric regarding the early day Camden Zoo train. Is this the one you were mentioning? I like the comment about a kid being able to step back into to yesteryear by climbing on board to take a ride through the jungle.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

chooch

Post by chooch »

Glenn Brooks,

Friends Models--Yes, they advertised in Live steam back when. It is still going But, by another live steamer I think in Woburn, Mass (north of Boston) a John Kerdzonack (sp) as far as I know. I thought he was on this group posted a few times about parts/castings for sale.
The comment of fixing the nose of the G-16 "now" from Slipped Eccentric is the Sanford Zoo train, HA, just a few miles across the river from me, I haven't been there for a few years. I `ll have to take a ride there soon. If it`s the same engineer, we live in my city but don`t seem to connect. He started a backyard RR several yrs ago but never got into the Hobby.

Here is an address of a Florida RR that has a large scale loco. I think the RR started as a club on city or county land--at 1-1/2" track. I`m not sure but somehow I think a fellow came along with 2 foot interests and joined the 1-1/2" club. Somehow the fellow got a Larger scale track and some equipment going with Both size tracks.

Anyway--here is the track website address. veteransmemorialrailroad.org I don`t know if it is still running or not, The older 2 foot fellow past away a few yrs ago He being the driving force, There was some talk the track might fold. I`ll have to check more. I think the track is around Milton , Fla. up west of the Capitol Tallahassee for reference.

For now, chooch
chooch

Post by chooch »

Hello Glenn Brooks,
I have not been able to contact the widow for information yet of the fellow that had a large scale loco and some track at the Veterans Memorial Railroad. Nor have I tried the site mentioned below yet.
As far as I remember, the park train loco came from somewhere in south Forida.
I`ll still be looking for more info though.
chooch
------------------
Anyway--here is the track website address. veteransmemorialrailroad.org I don`t know if it is still running or not, The older 2 foot fellow past away a few yrs ago He being the driving force, There was some talk the track might fold. I`ll have to check more. I think the track is around Milton , Fla.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Well, definitely not "Park Gauge", but way cool tourist attraction from the past- Maui Sugar Cane Train
2-4-0 Porter steam locomotive, mothballed in its roundhouse at Kaanapali.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

chooch

Post by chooch »

Glenn Brooks,
I just came across this Park train site. No doubt you already know of this train--The Spirit of Traverse City. But just in case, here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ5ViurgOgE

chooch
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Visited the Strassberg RailRoad last week, just outside Lancaster Pa. Here's a couple of photos of their early 1900's Cagney 15" gauge miniature train. Coal fired, hauling 16 passengers per trip, they operate the little engine on weekends from noon to 4 P.M. They operate a point to point track along the edge of their public area and back shops, giving riders a look at the engine house and a bunch of old castings and parts taken off prototype locomotives and stored on site. When the train reaches the end of track, the engineer runs the Cagney onto a Y to turn around, then hooks up to the other side of the train, carrying the passenger cars back to the other end. There they turn the engine on a turntable and steam the consist back to the passenger loading station. Quite a good ride for kids and adults alike. Of course the Cagney compliments Strassberg's full size loco that makes a 6 mile tourist run from Strasberg to Paradise and return, three or four times each day.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Okay gang, here’s my contribution to the Park Gauge group.

Through its 70 year history; the “miniature railroad” I love has been labeled a Tom Thumb Railroad, a Miniature Railroad, a Toy Train, a Riding Scale Railroad, and now, it appears to be classified a Grand Scale “park gauge” train because its gauge falls within plus-or-minus a specific dimension. Recently, one of the locomotives, a few rail-cars, and 208 feet of track were pulled out of storage for some holiday fun.

Here’s a Temporary URL of photos taken during some maintenance:

http://www.pbase.com/visual_first/locom ... e&page=all

See it in action via You Tube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd-Ia5kIBY

Enjoy.

John D. Atkinson
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks for posting John. I particularly like the shots in the video of the young engineer. doing a great job!

What guage/Scale did you build? Also, in your photo archive I see a really nice looking wrecking crane. Any chance you have any closeup photos? Or a description of how it's built?

Thanks
Glenn