Show your Park Gauge train

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
LVRR2095

Re: Show your Park Gauge train

Post by LVRR2095 »

And did you know that the Cagney Brothers had an 18" gauge steam powered pacific!
They had it built by the Company for Railway Industry in Breslau, Germany and it ran at 200 psi boiler pressure!
It was used first in New Jersey along the Jersey shore. Later it was sold to an amusement park in Connecticut.

Many years ago I knew Bob Parr the last living employee of the Cagney Brothers. He still had the machine tools from the Cagney firm and he operated a 15" gauge Class D that was owned by Mrs. Lillian Cagney, the widow of Charles L. Cagney.

Keith
Attachments
German built Cagney
German built Cagney
b3_1_b.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 19776 times
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

SAM_4893.JPG
Keith, thought you would like to see the picture of the steam outline, gasoline Cagney operating around the camp in Pennsylvania. This is what they sent me this week!
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

SAM_4895.JPG
Right side view. I recall now, after digging about in my archives that there was a suit between McGonnigle and Cagney. It seems Cagney objected to McGonnigle building these engines on his own under the Industrial railway equipment name but it turned out that his contract with Cagney allowed him to do so and the court ruled in his favor. He built them for Cagney under a label much as some canned foods are produced under the special name label for grocery stores. He retained the rights to build and sell them himself.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

John Landrum wrote:SAM_4895.JPG Right side view. I recall now, after digging about in my archives that there was a suit between McGonnigle and Cagney. It seems Cagney objected to McGonnigle building these engines on his own under the Industrial railway equipment name but it turned out that his contract with Cagney allowed him to do so and the court ruled in his favor. He built them for Cagney under a label much as some canned foods are produced under the special name label for grocery stores. He retained the rights to build and sell them himself.
Peter and Thomas McGarigle were related to Timothy Cagney by marriage. Their sister Winifred married Col. Tim Cagney.
And actually the suit between the Cagney Brothers and I.R.&L was ruled in the Cagney's favor.

Keith
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Keith, I defer to you. I did not have the copy of the court docs in front of me but I do have them somewhere. It is as you say.

This appears to be a later engine than Cinder Belle as it has some features not found on mine. I refer to the rivets on the fire box. Like Cinder Belle, this one seems to have lost her rear truck somewhere along the way. The old man who had run Cinder Belle when she began life in park service told my father that the rear truck did not track well and would not stay on the track so it was gotten rid of early on, mid 1920's or so, The truck she has now, Dad and I fabricated in the mid 1980's.

Do you know how late these engines were produced? Cinder Belle dates from 1922 and was purchased new that year by Kidd Springs Park but I have no idea how long they were made or how long under the Cagney name as opposed to IR&L. Any thoughts?
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Here are 3 out of the 4 grand scale 24" gauge locos......

we have a Crown locomotive that we are going to restore back to running condition.

A second Crown,the "Nevada Girl" , a Crown locomotive ex Mills Park, Carson City, Nevada

Our 5" scale B40-8

Our Railroad located just out side of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Attachments
crown1.jpg
crown2.jpg
nevada girl.jpg
nevada girl2.jpg
b40-8.jpg
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Anthony, Quite a roster! Can you tell us more about your RR? Who built the B40??

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

Very nice! Anthony
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Anthony, Quite a roster! Can you tell us more about your RR? Who built the B40??

Thanks
Glenn
I've known about this railroad for a couple years, here is a good webpage about it:

http://utahsadventurefamily.com/s-s-sho ... armington/

Sadly, it says it is closing to the public in 2016.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Glenn, I'd have to ask the owner of the railroad the builders name, as I can't place it right now. I know that its not operational as we speak as we've about worn the flanges off the wheels, so it needs new tires installed and machined.
Russell is right , we are in Farmington,Utah. Sand S shortline Railroad. We have 3 gauges on the 15 acre property, 24", 12" and 7.5". 7.5" making up the majority of the track. The 12" track and rolling stock is what remains from the Midway Railroad, which used to be in Midway, Utah. A couple of the riding cars are in fact from the original 12" ride at what is now called Lagoon~the amusement park.

Last year we had an abundance of trespassing and vandalism due to the "Pokemon Go" craze. So the owner closed the park to the public, in shock as the family had never had an issue for the last 20 years. We are opening this year, for a select couple of days. Basically to test the waters, lets hope that we can resume operations.

He's a Picture of our other 24" loco. A NAD loco that the railroad restored, it's our main workhorse on run days.

And an over view photo taken from a mate's drone, the 5 acre dirt section at the bottom of the picture is the extension that we are working on, only the 7.5" gauge will be running up this "Mountain section". Also note, the 1:1 scale DRG&W 3 foot rolling stock on the border of the park...
~Anthony~
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Anthony, looks like your photos and video and didn't make it into the post. Would be very interesting to see them. Also would be very interested in what the original manufacturer is for your 12" gauge Railway. Always interesting to see what others have done in this gauge. Few and far between...

Would be great to know if you will offer public Run days this coming summer. Your 12" RR might be the closest Railway, as we are just outside Seattle. Might be able to drive over and ride if yourmowner opens to the public. Also,been thinking about a road trip with my Ottaway - exploring if it is possible to visit other railways with my loco.

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

I'll try again.....
Attachments
NAD
NAD
Over view
Over view
~Anthony~