Show your Park Gauge train

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Atkinson_Railroad

Re: Show your Park Gauge train

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Thank you Glenn.

The 6-year-old engineer is my granddaughter. She asked me recently who built the train.
I had to stop and think about it for a second counting on my fingers replying, “Your great, great grandfather made this.”

The scale is [loosely] 1-1/2” with an exaggerated width providing stability. The gauge is 12-15/16”.
I’ve been asked to write an article about the train which will be posted at some point soon.

The wrecking crane you’re referring to was something I built in the mid ‘80s working from an American Flyer toy crane,
and blurry photos printed in a 1949-1951 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia. I’m presently in the process of getting it cleaned up.
In addition to adding more detail to its appearance, I want to reconfigure how it’s dismantled for it takes three men and a boy
to move it when fully assembled which I’ve never been very happy about.

John
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Magnificent 1904 Cagney up for sale in Colorado! Just listed on DLS. Close to a once-in-lifetime opportunity to own a Cagney. $100,000 for the loco, 1000' of track, three cars, all 15" gauge.
Attachments
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Magnificent 1904 Cagney up for sale in Colorado! Just listed on DLS. Close to a once-in-lifetime opportunity to own a Cagney. $100,000 for the loco, 1000' of track, three cars, all 15" gauge.
That loco is a little small for my tastes, but those are NICE cars!
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
STRR

Post by STRR »

Russell,

Some time ago, I purchased wheels from Pete Robinson who owns the Waterman and Western RR in Waterman, IL. He has a CNC program to turn wheels for his use. He has them cast out of cast iron. Yes, they are soft and I wouldn't recommend using cast iron. BUT, if enough of us commit, maybe we can talk him into getting some wheels cast in steel and use his CNC program to finish them. My axle requirements were different from his program but he amended the program to my needs. Thus, I believe we could get the program changed to what ever axle requirements we needed.

It's worth a short email. I don't know what the price would be for steel but the cast iron was a very good price. Tell him Terry Miller in Denver sent you.

You commented on the Cagney that's for sale. Those cars are beautiful AND that train is here in South East Denver.

Before you ask, yes I'm 18" gauge, so the wheels are pretty much the correct size. If not, I'm sure we can get around that.

Good Luck,
Terry
RussellCofIdaho

STRR wrote:Russell,

Some time ago, I purchased wheels from Pete Robinson who owns the Waterman and Western RR in Waterman, IL. He has a CNC program to turn wheels for his use. He has them cast out of cast iron. Yes, they are soft and I wouldn't recommend using cast iron. BUT, if enough of us commit, maybe we can talk him into getting some wheels cast in steel and use his CNC program to finish them. My axle requirements were different from his program but he amended the program to my needs. Thus, I believe we could get the program changed to what ever axle requirements we needed.

It's worth a short email. I don't know what the price would be for steel but the cast iron was a very good price. Tell him Terry Miller in Denver sent you.

You commented on the Cagney that's for sale. Those cars are beautiful AND that train is here in South East Denver.

Before you ask, yes I'm 18" gauge, so the wheels are pretty much the correct size. If not, I'm sure we can get around that.

Good Luck,
Terry
Cool, Terry! I hope to get to Colorado someday but am afraid if I do and see all the nice narrow gauge in person, I won't want to come back! That's what happened when I visited Idaho (well, except for the narrow gauge part, we are narrow gauge deficient here)! The 2017 Narrow Gauge Convention is there but we have plans to go visit California for our 20th anniversary and I really don't think the budget will accommodate both...

Pete Robinson sounds familiar but I may be thinking of Greg Robinson, the other famous Grand Scaler...
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Well, one alternative would be to cast and finish the cast iron wheels, then have him turn some steel tires to sweat onto the wheels. This is the way they did it in the old days...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

So the issue of wheels has come up in several different threads, the availability of and material type being the main issue, cost also another factor. My first question is how many different sizes (diameters), and wheel profiles are being sought after? and is there a preference on the material?

I plan on making wheels for 3" or 3.2" scale/15" gauge from 4140HT to I believe are 3" standards and will be looking into buying material shortly to produce them. Depending on what other wheels are needed I might consider making them as well if there is enough interest .

. I see that Hillcrest and Redwood Valley use about a 10" wheel and see that Hillcrest offers castings for their wheels. Are these for 5" standards?

Where do I find the specs/drawings for these 3"/ 5" standards?, I've also seen a mention of 4" standards. How do these standards apply/relate to wheel diameter and the gauge? Is there a bit of "Freelancing" involved?

Nyle
JR May

Post by JR May »

Yes, wheels can be expensive, but the previous owners of my National set had a unique solution.

I have the 24” gauge Jenkinsons Beach Train which did indeed run on the beach. As in the sand. As a result wheel wear was a apparently a major problem, and I would suppose an expensive problem over its operable life of about 48 years. At some point, someone, and I have no idea who, came up with a wheel design for the Beach Train which had bolt on flanges. The wheel also has a rubber center, I would assume for noise abatement as it ran near peoples’ beach front homes.

In this case, the wheel rotates on the stationary axle, so a ball bearing rode on the axles and was then pushed into the rubber center of the wheel’s tire. The flange bolted on from the back, sandwiching it all together.

Key here is that there is no big casting involved. This is for a 24” gauge park train set, so meets the amusement park type wheel sizes. Heavy wall pipe must have been used for the tread, perhaps thick plate for the bolt on flange once it had been machined.

For the cost of postage, I have some extra worn out wheels if anyone wants one to take apart and copy. Note the pizza cuter thickness of the worn out flanges.

J.R. May
Wall, NJ
Attachments
4 piece wheel 1.jpg
4 piece wheel 2.jpg
4 piece wheel 3.jpg
RussellCofIdaho

JR May wrote:Yes, wheels can be expensive, but the previous owners of my National set had a unique solution.

I have the 24” gauge Jenkinsons Beach Train which did indeed run on the beach. As in the sand. As a result wheel wear was a apparently a major problem, and I would suppose an expensive problem over its operable life of about 48 years. At some point, someone, and I have no idea who, came up with a wheel design for the Beach Train which had bolt on flanges. The wheel also has a rubber center, I would assume for noise abatement as it ran near peoples’ beach front homes.

In this case, the wheel rotates on the stationary axle, so a ball bearing rode on the axles and was then pushed into the rubber center of the wheel’s tire. The flange bolted on from the back, sandwiching it all together.

Key here is that there is no big casting involved. This is for a 24” gauge park train set, so meets the amusement park type wheel sizes. Heavy wall pipe must have been used for the tread, perhaps thick plate for the bolt on flange once it had been machined.

For the cost of postage, I have some extra worn out wheels if anyone wants one to take apart and copy. Note the pizza cuter thickness of the worn out flanges.

J.R. May
Wall, NJ
I would like to get my hands on those wheels, JR, I will will PM you.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
JR May

Post by JR May »

Russell:
Feel free to email me at jrmay@monmouth.com I'd be happy to get rid of some!
J.R.
John Landrum

Post by John Landrum »

I have an 18" gauge line in Texas. One of my locomotives is a steam outline, gasoline Cagney. Anyone else know anything about these? To my knowledge Cinder Belle is the only one of 10 to survive in operable condition. I understand there is one stuffed and mounted on a plinth at the Detroit zoo.
JR May

Post by JR May »

John:
Can you post some photos of the Cagney?
Thanks!
J.R.