Show your Park Gauge train

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
STRR

Re: Show your Park Gauge train

Post by STRR »

When was the Acorn removed? I seem to recall it was before the San Francisco Zoo train was removed in 1976 when I was 12 years old.
Russ,

I'm not sure of the exact date but I do have a photo of the Acorn waiting to be scrapped after removal. It appears the Acorn had been sitting there for some time. The photo is dated 1978. If it was removed prior to 1976, that would fit perfectly.

Here's a You Tube link that will bring back memories for you. The first minute is the MOST important. The rest is a Southern Pacific safety film teaching children NOT to play in the rail yards.

Dangerous Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpCPw1wDKwc

Terry
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Wow, great find Terry! The tunnel at 23 seconds is the one we peered into in the mid '70s! Of course the trees were much bigger by then and the whole area was in complete shade.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
STRR

Post by STRR »

Russ,

Kind of thought you would like it. It's the first and only video I have found of the Acorn in her original environment. Now, you can see her as she is today by watching videos of the Whiskey River RR in Wisconsin. Darrell has sure kept her in great condition. Although, I prefer her in original style.

Terry
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here are a couple of Winton Locomotives from the 1960's...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a U-Tube Video about a guy's dream. Frank Field and I both attended IIT in Chicago, Frank majored in Mechanical Engineering, and I, Physics. We were both members of the IIT Model RR Club. He was nicknamed "Trolley Poll" because of his love of the Aurora & Elgin, and other electric RR's.

Frank got his degree, moved back to New York, and then went on to get his P.E. (Professional Engineer) Certificate. He ran, I believe, power plants for the New Haven RR, and also as a P.E. was able to examine and testify in legal proceedings in cases where Amusement Parks were negligent in their large scale RR operations.

Frank bought two acres in Greenport, Long Island, and established his dream railroad, it amazing how much he was able to shove into those two acres. Until a few years ago, the RR was open to the public on certain days, but today it is closed.

In the video, Frank is running one of his several "Diesels". All equipment is used, acquired from parks, etc., and rebuilt to proper standards.

Frank Field's Peconic County Miniature RR:

https://youtu.be/8xXyLzXwKss

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Frank Field's Peconic County Miniature RR must have you absolutely drooling!
Patience...patience...
~Russ
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Patience indeed! The track work by itself is a work of art. A 10 minute ride on two acres is simply amazing. Must be a mile of track or more... Would love to see his stable of engines.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Bert Beecher's 24" gauge 4-8-4, info copied from another live steam thread. The loco was stored west of Medford, Oregon on old SR 20, however sometime in 2006 it departed to parts unknown. So present whereabouts are unknown - according to a local on line newspaper article archive.

Maybe someone will recognize it and tell us all where it is these days.

Here is the Chaski thread where it is originally mentioned:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... rt+Beecher
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.54 KiB) Viewed 9875 times
Yes, Bert Beecher built this locomotive. It is a 24" gauge model of an SP GS-1 4-8-4. I understood that it did operate when first built but obviously hasn't run in a while. Not a bad looking model. Should be under cover and dressed up at least to look complete.

Would love to hear more about the history of this engine. THere has to be one heck of a story behind. Maybe he didn't want Ralph MacAllister's monster 14" guage 2-8-8-4 to be the biggest miniature steam locomotive ever built?

Bert also built an 18" gauge 2-6-0 that ran on the Meadow & Lake Kathleen RR in Deadwood, Oregon. Not sure if it is for sale along with the RR or not.

Rob Gardner
Last edited by Glenn Brooks on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

William Coffman locos...
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 9870 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 9870 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 9870 times
The last photo is the same engine operating in Coos Bay, Oregon in the. I'd 60's. Photos courtesy of another Chaski thread.

RussellCofIdaho

RONALD wrote:Here is a U-Tube Video about a guy's dream. Frank Field and I both attended IIT in Chicago, Frank majored in Mechanical Engineering, and I, Physics. We were both members of the IIT Model RR Club. He was nicknamed "Trolley Poll" because of his love of the Aurora & Elgin, and other electric RR's.

Frank got his degree, moved back to New York, and then went on to get his P.E. (Professional Engineer) Certificate. He ran, I believe, power plants for the New Haven RR, and also as a P.E. was able to examine and testify in legal proceedings in cases where Amusement Parks were negligent in their large scale RR operations.

Frank bought two acres in Greenport, Long Island, and established his dream railroad, it amazing how much he was able to shove into those two acres. Until a few years ago, the RR was open to the public on certain days, but today it is closed.

In the video, Frank is running one of his several "Diesels". All equipment is used, acquired from parks, etc., and rebuilt to proper standards.

Frank Field's Peconic County Miniature RR:

https://youtu.be/8xXyLzXwKss
This appears to be the Google aerial of the Peconic County Railroad (autocorrect keeps changing it to Picnic!), looks like track between the trees:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1087495 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
RussellCofIdaho

Glenn Brooks wrote:Bert Beecher's 24" gauge 4-8-4, info copied from another live steam thread:
image.jpg
Yes, Bert Beecher built this locomotive. It is a 24" gauge model of an SP GS-1 4-8-4. I understood that it did operate when first built but obviously hasn't run in a while. Not a bad looking model. Should be under cover and dressed up at least to look complete.

Would love to hear more about the history of this engine. THere has to be one heck of a story behind. Maybe he didn't want Ralph MacAllister's monster 14" guage 2-8-8-4 to be the biggest miniature steam locomotive ever built?

Bert also built an 18" gauge 2-6-0 that ran on the Meadow & Lake Kathleen RR in Deadwood, Oregon. Not sure if it is for sale along with the RR or not.

Rob Gardner
Being into 18" gauge railroads I have heard of the Beecher locos but NEVER heard of this monster! Where is the Beecher 24" gauge 4-8-4 located now? Such a beast would need a MASSIVE line to get up to speed it seems!
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russell, I updated my post to show the most current internet info regarding Bert Beecher's train - which is to say it was moved to parts unknown sometime in 2006. Surely a Bemouth of this size won't go unnoticed and some kind Chaski sole will let us know where it might be found these days...

Glenn