Grand Scale Suppliers

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
LVRR2095

Re: Grand Scale Suppliers

Post by LVRR2095 »

Harold_V wrote:Thanks, Nyle. So then, Grand Scale 8" to 24" Gauge.

All methods of propulsion included.

Anyone else have anything to offer before I discuss this with Marty?

Harold
I personally don't see a need to seperate out by size. If it is live steam it belongs in this forum as the technology is the same irrespective of size. If it is not steam powered it belongs in riding scale railroads.
Keith
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

LVRR2095 wrote:...
I personally don't see a need to seperate out by size. If it is live steam it belongs in this forum as the technology is the same irrespective of size. If it is not steam powered it belongs in riding scale railroads.
Keith
I'm with Keith for two reasons.

First, as Keith says, steam is steam. We all share the same interests and issues with perhaps just a very few exceptions (the o.p. question about suppliers being one). A problem or question about anything steam is an opportunity to learn and contribute to the general knowledge.

Second, another subforum just makes it harder for cross-pollination of that knowledge. By talking to each other, ideas useful to one group could be useful to another. I visit a forum in another field of interest and there are so many subforums (61) that items of interest in one are missed by those who visit another. Cross-posting is just about universally frowned upon, so the post sits in some forgotten corner of the internet, not seen by others who might benefit or contribute. Some of the folks who post in the lesser-visited ones wonder why they aren't getting many responses.

(And more subforums just increases the duties of the mods, sorting out and moving misplaced posts.)
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Keith and Greg have provided some compelling views on the subject, views I tend to endorse, so I'd likely reconsider the idea of creating a sub-forum, as it may not provide a solution for folks with issues. I'll keep an open mind for the next day or two to see if anything new develops, otherwise I'll figure it's a no-go.

Please post your thoughts if you have them in regards to creating a new sub forum.

Thanks, guys. We try to please all of you, so your comments are appreciated. Helps us make reasonable decisions.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Having read Keith and Greg's views on the idea of a sub-forum I can't say that I disagree.

I've been giving a lot of thought as to why there isn't more information or discussion about the grand Scales on the internet. My conclusions are as follows; 1) Yes, the cost is more than many can afford. 2) The shear size and weight can be problematic for most people . Not only do you need bigger machines with which to build your project, but there is also the issue with transporting the larger gauges. 3) There aren't many clubs out there with which to run the larger scales as compared to the smaller scales. 4) A good portion of the Grand Scales equipment is for commercial purposes, Park trains , etc, The builders/suppliers of that equipment may not necessarily be interested in sharing their "secrets" or photos of their builds or any other info as they are running a "commercial" business that targets other businesses.

Considering the fact that this site is the" Home" Machinist and is geared towards those of us building out of our house, basement or garage or hut, I guess it would make sense to just carry on as usual .

However It would be nice to see some Grand Scales once and a while.
Just my 2 cents!

Nyle
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I really enjoy reading about ALL "smaller than full-sized" railroading here, as I've been involved in full-sized to HO scales.
As others have noted, cross-pollination contributes to general knowledge.
Glenn Brooks' discussion of his larger-gauge interests is highly welcomed by me, and is interesting.
And the lack of activity on the mentioned Yahoo forum makes a statement.
I think this Discussion Board is working as is.
Thank you Moderators!
~RN
Will's 2882

Post by Will's 2882 »

Nyle
As you write about larger sizes not being able to be built at home, there was a time when 3/4 and 1 inch were the biggest thing being built. When 1 1/2 inch came about, the same thing was said about them. Size. weight, machines big enough to make them, etc.
Although I will never be able to build one myself, there are more people that will move on up to larger sizes.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: However It would be nice to see some Grand Scales once and a while.
Just my 2 cents!

Nyle
No argument here! I would also like to see smaller than 7+ inch gauge equipment posts, and marine and traction and stationary live steam as they are all of interest. As you get older...the smaller scales get a lot more appealing!
Attached is a photo taken at the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers Autumn Blow Down Meet.
My little 3/4" scale center cab locomotive put on a good show after a 40 year nap.
Keith
Attachments
Lewis Bullock built LVRR Atlantic at the PVLS
Lewis Bullock built LVRR Atlantic at the PVLS
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I'm for it. I participate in 12 and 15" gauges.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Edited For brevity.....

I would like to see a grand scale sub forum. Would help the Park Gauge Community grow. We don't have a viable networking site and could really use one....

Glenn
Last edited by Glenn Brooks on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Glenn, there is already a very active forum for park sized railways, Miniature Railway World.
http://s9.zetaboards.com/MRW_Forums/index/
Yes it is based in the UK, but they also cover miniature railroad topics the world over. In a niche group like park sized trains you may need to go to an international group in order to get a large enough base to make it worthwhile.
Keith
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Keith,

Great forum, http://s9.zetaboards.com/MRW_Forums/index/, but like you said it is UK based . Very little content on American railroading.

I have to agree with Glenn, there is a void that needs to be filled.

Nyle
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

LIALLEGHENY wrote:Keith,

Great forum, http://s9.zetaboards.com/MRW_Forums/index/, but like you said it is UK based . Very little content on American railroading.

I have to agree with Glenn, there is a void that needs to be filled.

Nyle
If you join that forum you can add content. It is not limited to UK railways just as I hope this forum is not limited to just North American topics.
Keith