Daney / Thomsen 5" scale 15" gauge standards sheet

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Harlock

Daney / Thomsen 5" scale 15" gauge standards sheet

Post by Harlock »

Attached is Erich Thomsen and Bill Daney's 15" gauge 5" scale wheel and coupler standard sheet. One of the reasons these are so successful is they were given away freely from the get-go and fit on a single sheet that was published in magazines and elsewhere.

On the Hillcrest Shops page, they have also added the Hillcrest track and clearance standards, which are specific to that railroad but interesting nontheless. http://hillcrestreedley.com/5-scale-15-gauge-standards

Bill and Erich designed these standards and their equipment to work well in scale, not necessarily as a directly scaled prototype. This was appropriate for creating park trains that could reliably haul passengers day in and day out without trouble. As such it is an excellent, proven standard to follow and will open the doors to operating your equipment on the growing number of tracks that use it here in the West. A list can be found in the link.

This would make for a good sticky post.

-Mike
Attachments
RVRY_Standards.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Glenn Brooks

Re: Daney / Thomsen 5" scale 15" gauge standards sheet

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Mike, extremely valuable info!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RussellCofIdaho

Re: Daney / Thomsen 5" scale 15" gauge standards sheet

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

This is a great standard, I model 18" gauge full sized, our standards are somewhat bigger but I am building a 1/2 scale D&RG 4-wheel flat and a 3/4 scale motor car on which I hope to have adjustable gauge axles and plan on using 5" scale standard wheels for possible interchange, even though the nearest 5" scale line is 500 miles away. Any thing less than 350 miles is considered local way out here in Idaho!

Here is a link to my little bit of progress in building my new 18" line:

https://unknownidaho.wordpress.com/category/big-trains/
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...