Woodinville Shops

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Woodinville Shops

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hmmm, maybe here is a you tube video of a test run over the older portion of track. My boy is setting up a You Tube account for me. So might try posting a few other videos. Haha. Obviously one or two small things need to be worked out at the end of this run. :shock:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqYZ4ZLFHvI

Maybe someone could let me know if this is sufficient quality, etc.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Looks good! Until you hit that root, rock, whatever it was. :shock:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! Real nice!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, yes, you win the prize! It is a root. I need to cut it back some, along the top, so the undercarriages of the cars can clear it. A small design error on my part when we laid this portion of track.

My boy and I finished laying the final piece of track to complete the main line this afternoon. Well, actually the outer rail of the ROW is complete now. Spiked and joined the mountain division of rail to the southern division and trestle. My boy did most all the heavily lifting with the manual rail bender today. Had to go over the last connecting 12’ of rail 6 or 8 times to get the curvature in Grizzly Pass to be tangent with the arc combining up out of the “Great Western Trestle”.

Then, very, very carefully - aligned the two overlapping ends of rail and cut in the joint. Nothing like bending this stuff all afternoon and finding: Oh N0, 1/4” to short. It came out fine, perfect actually. Happy to report the mainline is now joined along the outer rail. Tomorrow will set gauge and spike the inner rail. Then level, ballast, and tamp a few low spots and this beast is DONE!

A few photos of the epic milestone moments!
Jon, setting up the final bit of rail
Jon, setting up the final bit of rail
Bending to the proper arc
Bending to the proper arc
Take slack, bend, set, repeat
Take slack, bend, set, repeat
46E5DB5D-E053-47ED-BB3D-50A845328C24.jpeg
E9195CDA-A4D5-457B-A127-A7947A33AC19.jpeg
Finishing the outer rail
Finishing the outer rail
Looking down the mainline from Grizzly Pass
Looking down the mainline from Grizzly Pass

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Really Fantastic to see it all come together for you.
'Been a Big dream and long haul.
I look forward to seeing it someday.
~RN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I'd say you're going to need one of these....today? :D
Golden-Spike.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Where do you find such a thing?

GPB

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Well that was just a google image search for golden spike. I'd say you'll need to cleanup and paint a spike gold if you are going to have a golden spike.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Found one on eBay. Curtsey of SeniorGoogle of course. “only $20”, with shipping. Looks like the one in your photo.

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Oh cool! You get next day shipping? :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am Well that was just a google image search for golden spike. I'd say you'll need to cleanup and paint a spike gold if you are going to have a golden spike.
Heh! Or plate one, as I did.
Years ago, when I was actively refining precious metals, I gold plated a spike for Lee Carlson. While I was at it, I did one for myself.

H
Attachments
Gold spike.JPG
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Harold, Nice! Is it feasible to try to gold plate something here in my shop? I’ve got a bit of gold lying around, and plenty of 3 1/2” spikes, but never attempted such a thing, other than electrolysis.

Looks like the one Ryan found is a replica of the Promontory Point spike. It’s very nice, but sell for $58 on line. A bit over my budget for unit cost for spikes. :?
Glenn