12" working railroad

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: 12" working railroad

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 am Last year I priced out 4x4 cedar ties, in lieu of treated fir. Hoped to achieve rot resistance with cedar. Isaquah Cedar said they would be old growth- so tight grain and rot resistant. However, Ended up buying a stack of cedar 4x4 seconds -mill rejects, from an after market lumber dealer up in Vancouver BC. The load was cheap, but at least half the stack soon split into two or more pieces over winter and many, 50% maybe, got eaten end to end by bugs. Partially my fault as I didn’t stack them with cleats for air circulation. So ended up only being able to use about half the stack. The rest all went into firewood, and the better pieces became a retaining wall, around one curve. They are second growth, so no idea how durable they will be. Like popcorn for The little carpenter ants colonies, apparently. Such is railroading in the modern age....

It's crazy, my grandparents prior home had cedar siding on it and it was bug paradise. It got so bad that a wood pecker was pecking holes in the siding to get to the bugs and they had to put these fake plastic owls up to scare it away.
This stuff is supposed to work pretty well in treating the wood and making it non-tasty to insects:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Copper-Gree ... /202688828

Post by 0351 »

Came across some good photos of a loosely based S4 locomotive using takeup bearings for journal and fake equalize bars.
Looks very nice! Although I would definitely paint the take bearings to match the sideframes.
Attachments
IMG_3462.JPG
IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
John 14:6 (KJV)
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I was doing a google image search and saw that one, I didn't notice it had take-up bearings in the trucks though. Yours is going to look much better:)
I've began work on my muffler, not much to look at as it's just a pile of material but I'll post more pictures when I start welding it up.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Here's the muffler coming together. It's two pieces of 6x6x1/4 square tube. The perforated plate is some 3/16" with 1/2" holes in it. I'm going to stuff the "cores" with rockwool and then weld them into each tube, drill a crossover hole in the sides on one end, and then weld them together. The piece of 6x12 I found was too "bloated" on the 12" side to use. This is going to be installed as the "fuel tank".
S12muffler.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I got some millwork and welding done on the muffler case, next I need to pack the cores and install them into the case.
S12muffler1.jpg
S12muffler2.jpg
S12muffler3.jpg
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:25 pm bolsterbearings.jpg

Here's the test fit of the bolster bearing brackets.
From where did you get that design idea? :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 am

That is none other than yours BDD :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 am

That is none other than yours BDD :D
:D :D :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I like the way it allows the trucks to articulate yet not allow leaning, so that the trucks will align themselves to the track independent of the spring movement.
I'm waiting for some parts to arrive for the muffler/air tanks, so I hopped over to the riding car and started fitting up the sides of the hopper to the frame and working on the ribs. I'm using 1/2" square aluminum bar for the ribs that will be drilled and tapped with screws from the inside, sorry rivet counters.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

I have been watching this build for a while and it is such a fun build to watch, major props for the work that you have done! I like rivet counters, I think they offer good challenges. But at the end of the day, this is a hobby. The only thing that counts is having fun, which it clearly looks like you are having. I really like seeing the CAD work too and then going out and building it. Makes me want to get my computer models made into working models.

I'm excited to see the finished product. Keep it up!
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Thanks SPSTEAM, this has been a fun build using and re-purposing the parts and scrap I can get my hands on for the most part. We had plenty of scrap sheet metal strip laying around, but there was just no way to form it into the hat channels for the ribs anywhere close to the right size. The square bar ribs actually look pretty good, I got one side worth of ribs mounted tonight before both my cordless drill batteries died on me. I don't want any corrosion in the lap seams so I haven't permanently assembled anything yet. I think I'm going to use an automotive seam sealer when I do final assembly on the hopper car, Loctite all the fasteners, and then paint the whole thing.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Here's a pic.
Ridinghopperribs.jpg