Ottaway Project

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
steamin10

Re: Ottaway Project

Post by steamin10 »

Thank you. Looks good from here.

ya there is a lot of babble back an forth about Briggs layouts. Watertube fireboxes were found to be troublesome in full sized locos, that used them. In your size it opens up a reasonable alternative. They are easy to replace or repair, if damaged. Less so with full sized. I for one, like the Copper flues rolled in. A proven performer in many situations. Easy to maintain over time.

Uh, just a caution. Dont give everybody the details on welding combinations, and steel specs. Somebody else might get the idea that they can do this too..... (ROTFLMAO!) :lol:

Carry on, cant wait for spring.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
boos

Post by boos »

I am restoring a 1948 Ottaway and John Braun in Grand Junction, CO is repairing the boiler. Does anyone know who built the boilers for Ottaway? I need this information to access the original boiler inspection report at the National Board.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

boos wrote:I am restoring a 1948 Ottaway and John Braun in Grand Junction, CO is repairing the boiler. Does anyone know who built the boilers for Ottaway? I need this information to access the original boiler inspection report at the National Board.
The National Board can trace the builder using the N.B. number stamped on the boiler. But if I remember correctly the boilers for most if not all Ottaways were made by the Radiographic Laboratories in Texas.

Keith
FriscoJim

Post by FriscoJim »

I think Keith summed it up. I've sent Steve what little information I have, which unfortunately doesn't contain the mfg of his particular boiler. By the way, some Ottaway boilers were code, some non-code - the early ones were non-code, then it was customer's option until the end of production.

I don't get on the forum very often, and was a bit surprised to see this old thread bumped. :) The Ottaway is still going strong, as you can see in this video from April:

Right now, I am restoring a 1907 International Miniatures 12" gauge 4-4-0 for a friend, and when it is done I have a Class C Cagney to rebuild for myself. 12" gauge steam is alive and well!
Jim P.

N&F RR - 12" Gauge Live Steam
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Hey Jim good to hear from you. Loved the video and checked out the website - I love all the beautiful buildings along the railroad. 12" gauge is a fun gauge. Still small enough to deal with but big enough to be very stable.

Cheers,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada