Help Identifying & Valuing Train

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, cbrew

User avatar
Builder01
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 5:26 am
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Builder01 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm

A hydro test is not a big deal??? Well, it's not a big deal if it passes. Otherwise, it is a very, very big deal. If it fails, it will be pretty much useless as a functioning locomotive until it gets the boiler replaced or repaired.

David

User avatar
Marty_Knox
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Marty_Knox » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

A while back someone posted a picture of a priest blessing a boiler.
The caption was 'In lieu of hydro'.

User avatar
Greg_Lewis
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:44 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Greg_Lewis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 pm

A minor thing, and I hope you'll take it in the spirit in which it is intended, but the correct term for what you have is "locomotive" or "engine." Technically, a train is a locomotive pulling cars. Small thing but noticeable to railroaders.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of non-interchangeable parts.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 30 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.

User avatar
LVRR2095
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:50 pm
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby LVRR2095 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Greg_Lewis wrote:A minor thing, and I hope you'll take it in the spirit in which it is intended, but the correct term for what you have is "locomotive" or "engine." Technically, a train is a locomotive pulling cars. Small thing but noticeable to railroaders.

Ah....not so. As a retired locomotive engineer and Road Foreman of engines I can tell you that the definition of a "train" is One or more locomotives coupled, with or without cars and displaying markers. So a single locomotive traveling as a light engine move with it's rear markers illuminated is a train.

Keith Taylor Lehigh Valley Railroad, Conrail and Amtrak

User avatar
Greg_Lewis
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:44 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Greg_Lewis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:40 pm

LVRR2095 wrote:
Greg_Lewis wrote:A minor thing, and I hope you'll take it in the spirit in which it is intended, but the correct term for what you have is "locomotive" or "engine." Technically, a train is a locomotive pulling cars. Small thing but noticeable to railroaders.

Ah....not so. As a retired locomotive engineer and Road Foreman of engines I can tell you that the definition of a "train" is One or more locomotives coupled, with or without cars and displaying markers. So a single locomotive traveling as a light engine move with it's rear markers illuminated is a train.

Keith Taylor Lehigh Valley Railroad, Conrail and Amtrak

Ah, you got me! But is the locomotive in question travelling with markers? :D
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of non-interchangeable parts.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 30 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.

User avatar
LVRR2095
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:50 pm
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby LVRR2095 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Greg_Lewis wrote:
LVRR2095 wrote:
Greg_Lewis wrote:A minor thing, and I hope you'll take it in the spirit in which it is intended, but the correct term for what you have is "locomotive" or "engine." Technically, a train is a locomotive pulling cars. Small thing but noticeable to railroaders.

Ah....not so. As a retired locomotive engineer and Road Foreman of engines I can tell you that the definition of a "train" is One or more locomotives coupled, with or without cars and displaying markers. So a single locomotive traveling as a light engine move with it's rear markers illuminated is a train.

Keith Taylor Lehigh Valley Railroad, Conrail and Amtrak

Ah, you got me! But is the locomotive in question travelling with markers? :D


It would be tough without a tender to hold the markers! :D

MysteryTrain
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby MysteryTrain » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:55 pm

And my locomotive doesn't actually have markers, but regardless, I should probably change that to locomotive.

Thanks,

User avatar
tsph6500
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: West of Dunvegan, Ontario CANADA
Contact:

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby tsph6500 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:40 pm

I remember Bob Steinberg (LILS) and his son Eric had a Crampton that was 7-1/4" g.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer

Pontiacguy1
Posts: 676
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am
Location: Tennessee, USA

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Pontiacguy1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Did this locomotive sell? I didn't see listed on DLS any more. I'm curious.

User avatar
Fred_V
Posts: 4078
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:26 pm

Re: Help Identifying & Valuing Train

Postby Fred_V » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 pm

It's not in the "sold" section so maybe he sold it locally and pulled the ad.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.


Return to “Live Steam”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests