bell lacquer

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Chris Hollands

bell lacquer

Post by Chris Hollands »

I don't want to polish this bell all the time so what's out there that people use to keep the shine without the work of polishing all the time
Attachments
bell.jpg
NP317

Re: bell lacquer

Post by NP317 »

I have used spray on ACE hardware store lacquer on brass for the past 16 years. Still looks good after years of abuse.
See the brass on my Ten Wheeler. Photo from 2018. Lacquered is 13 years old in the photo.
RussN
KLS 4-13-18 #3.jpg
E6s 68

Post by E6s 68 »

Chris,
Incralac has proven to be the best for me. Expensive but worth the cost.
E6s 68
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Chris...

I'm with you...don't want to be polishing brass or stainless steel (as I have on the Rutland) all the time.

Can also use something like Rustoleum Crystal Clear gloss spray. But the spray tips are kind of coarse and lay down a heavy spray. Another option (just got done doing this today on some brass parts) is the Minwax Clear Gloss polyurethan spray. The spray tip lays down a much finer spray.

Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hair spray.

Lasts a while...easy to get off when you want
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Thanks for the reply's
I just bought some Rustoleum satin finish .
I thought I would be "smart" and spray the product on a slowly spinning bell in the lathe - I GOT TOO SMART FOR MYSELF
- what a mistake all the product accumulated on bell bottom lip due to centrifugal force .
I ended up just spraying as normal and it worked out ok - it does seem to generate a lot of very small bubbles which seem to work there way out over time but when you spray you go what the hell have I done wrong - patience is one of my bad points when it come to painting - the same as a lot of people I'm sure .
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:22 pm ... But the spray tips are kind of coarse and lay down a heavy spray. ...

I have an artist's double-action external mix airbrush that provides almost infinite control. Much recommended for these types of projects.

To get the paint out of the spray can, get a large diameter plastic drinking straw and hold it or tape it to the rattle can nozzle. Stick the other end into whatever container you want for the paint. When you hit the rattle can spray nozzle, the paint will run down inside the straw and into the container. Said paint is nicely thinned and works just fine through the airbrush without further modification.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.