A Large Live Steam 4-4-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fender

A Large Live Steam 4-4-0

Post by Fender »

Apologies for cross-posting from the Chaski Railfan forum:
http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2014/10/ ... ng-history
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Greg_Lewis

Re: A Large Live Steam 4-4-0

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Fender wrote:Apologies for cross-posting from the Chaski Railfan forum:
http://chicagotonight.wttw.com/2014/10/ ... ng-history
No apologies needed. Not everyone reads every forum. Thanks for the heads-up.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Wow!

When I first saw the engine, I thought it had to be an outline powered by some diesel engine, but no, it's really steam.

Thanks for posting.

Steve
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

I guess one of the obvious questions is "Does he have the approval of the various railroads to run on their tracks?" It would be a shame to spend all his time and effort and then to be turned down by the railways. He seems like a practical guy so my guess is that he has already approached them.

It would cost the railways a lot of money because they would have to fit him into their regular traffic schedules, so they might be a bit hesitant to allow it.

VERY impressive work! And we thought building a "little" one was a big deal!

Richard Trounce.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

It is compliant under the Federal Railroad Administration regulations, with a few waivers for the antiquated items that cannot be "grandfathered" (non-iron or steel handrails, front coupler, glazing, etc.) because it is a new locomotive. I handled the commissioning for the FRA from headquarters will help from our local inspector from Wisconsin. I have seen it run in Michigan twice, and it has run in a half dozen other locations around the US. I also worked on the commisionign of its sister, York, on the Northern Central in New Freedom, PA.

Steve
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

stupid question, what about water and coal? How far can this engine travel before needing to replenish?
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

"Leviathan" is a waste oil burner rather than a coal burner. At the 2014 trainfestival in Owosso, Mi with the folks of the Steam Railroading Institute (PM 1225), Leviathan was being refueled with large 4 foot by 3 foot plastic containers filled with heavy, thick what appeared to be a step above waste oil being hoisted up over the small tender with a front end loader. Standing next to two 2-8-4 berkshires with Leviathan, I would take Leviathan any day. Simply a stunning locomotive......but had the distinct impression myself and from the owner/builder that the "bigger is better" crowd in attendance would not be in agreement with my choice.
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

Here are a few pictures of the replica Lincoln Car that Dave Kloke is building to pull behind Leviathan. These were take a couple weeks ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41428530@N03/15416915489/ This car will also be FRA compatible. although Leviathan is limited to 25 MPH by the FRA.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Oktrainboys wrote:"Leviathan" is a waste oil burner rather than a coal burner. At the 2014 trainfestival in Owosso, Mi with the folks of the Steam Railroading Institute (PM 1225), Leviathan was being refueled with large 4 foot by 3 foot plastic containers filled with heavy, thick what appeared to be a step above waste oil being hoisted up over the small tender with a front end loader. Standing next to two 2-8-4 berkshires with Leviathan, I would take Leviathan any day. Simply a stunning locomotive......but had the distinct impression myself and from the owner/builder that the "bigger is better" crowd in attendance would not be in agreement with my choice.
Yea, i know what you mean. Im partial to the 2-6-0 mogul myself...