Smokebox Paint

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Brian Tusin

Smokebox Paint

Post by Brian Tusin »

Does anyone have a good hi temp paint they use that gives a dark graphite, kind of like a cast iron? This is what I am looking for. https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... r2=piv-web

Thank you,
Brian
makinsmoke

Re: Smokebox Paint

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Brian,
I have two methods for you.

Harry Bean told me he heated the smokebox, usually after a run, and rubbed a mixture of powdered graphite
and steam cylinder oil onto it. He said that's what the S.P. did.

The 3751 guys used a 50/50% mixture of Rustoleum Barbecue Black and High Heat Aluminum.
We used the same on the AT&SF 940 In Bartlesville, though it is a static display. I took four samples to
the group to choose from, some with more black and less silver, and we ended up with the 50/50 mix the
375 guys use.

You can try that to come up with the shade you want.

Take care,
Brian
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Brian:
I use: Dupi-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel, good for 500 degrees F and more.
"DE1651 Cast Coat Iron"
It gives the best representation of the traditional steam cylinder oil and graphite mix that I've applied to several full-sized steam locomotive smokeboxes.

The below recent picture of my Ten Wheeler (from the Kitsap Live Steamers webpage) shows my locomotive's smokebox that was last painted in 2004, and the paint has never cracked, peeled, or faded. It now sports the proper traces of steam cylinder oil from the stack (which was mysteriously edited out in the photo!)

Many of my fellow KLS Friends also use this same paint for the reasons I've stated.
~RN
Attachments
KLS Website Header.gif
AMc

Post by AMc »

www.eastwood.com
#10395 factory grey hi-temp coating, cast iron,
has held up well on my locos for at least 10 years.
blff cty lcmtv wrks

Post by blff cty lcmtv wrks »

brian

i use a high temp paint called "cast blast". it states on the can that it is good to 1200F. i have it on two smoke boxes. one has been run hard for quite a while, and while it is showing it's age, it is still sticking on real well. a word of warning. i have never had any real good luck reusing a part can. it seems that the usual methods of cleaning out the nozzle, turn can upside down, spray until nothing but gas comes out, don't always work. soaking the nozzle may or may not work. i use the can until it is empty or near so. that being said, it is imho,still, a pretty good product.

it is made by seymour of scyamore, inc. the number on the can is 16-2668. upc number is 0 43281-00142 7. and you can rest easy at night after using it as the can displays a california enviornmentally formulated no cfc sticker it meet calif clean air regs. ain't that nice.

i,m pretty sure it has a rattle ball in side the can, but i have been shaking this can off and on for about twenty minutes, and it ain't started rattling yet

big c.