3.5 gauge little engines 4-8-4

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

flyguy

3.5 gauge little engines 4-8-4

Post by flyguy »

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 3-1/2" gauge little engines 4-8-4 off ebay about a week or so ago. This is my first larger scale live steam locomotive. I have a fair amount of experience operating engines of this size and was a member of the Los Angeles Live Steamers for several years. I was informed that this engine has sat for the last ten years, and it would not surprise me if it has actually been longer than that. Overall it appears to be in good mechanical shape. I am looking for suggestions prior to steaming the locomotive. Obviously a boiler hydro is in order, what else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James
jcbrock

Re: 3.5 gauge little engines 4-8-4

Post by jcbrock »

Welcome to the forum James and congrats on your purchase. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

You're right about the boiler hydro.

You need to build a kit of maintenance tools - some type of flue brush to clean the tubes and various oilers and grease guns.

You need to develop a lube strategy. I would look at every moving part and try to figure out how it has been lubed in the past - oil or grease and how it has been put on the moving surface. You'll need steam cylinder oil for the pistons and valves, how is that put into the cylinders (mechanical lubricator? hydrostatic lubricator?).

You need to understand and test the water delivery systems. There are probably tender and axle pumps and an injector.

I'm sure others here will chime in with excellent ideas.
John Brock
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I'd probably pull all the running gear apart and clean and re-lube it. Some lubricants change over time and I'd want to know I've got nice clean, new stuff in there.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I'd put a squeeze on the boiler, and light a fire...

in seriousness, get ahold of your club boiler inspector. (I'm assuming you are going to join a club, if for no other reason than a track). I'm unsure if you are still in the LA area, or not- if you are, go back to LALS and rejoin, then ask the boiler inspector what he wants to test the boiler with/for.

After you have tested the boiler, make sure you have at least one feed source that works- probably the hand pump if the engine has one. (2nd alternate, axle pump...I test by filling engine using it on track...). You should have some idea what you need to get steam up with- a blower of some kind, tube cleaning tools, lubrication stuff, appropriate wrenches, an appropriate set of sockets. I put the stuff into a 22" toolbox, and that travels with me and the engine.

When you get there, ask again...or watch some of the YouTube videos.

I wish you well, and welcome to the tinkerbell scale club,

James
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I am in the process of re-joining the Los Angeles Live Steamers (currently going through probation) I will get a hold of one of their boiler inspectors and get a good idea of the process. As for water delivery, the engine has a hand pump and axel pump. I believe I have most of the basic tools needed to work on the locomotive and will continue to collect them as needed.

With regaurds to dissasembling the valve gear, cleaning it and re-lubing it, would this require re timing the engine upon completion? Do you have any advice on the best process of doing this? I have attached some pictures of the locomotive, valve gear and oiling points. I am interested if these are roller bearings or friction bearings. Any other pointers on its construction are appreciated.

I am also looking for a set of drawings. I would be interested in purchasing some if anyone knows where they are available.

Thanks again

James
Attachments
IMG_5719.jpg
IMG_5717.jpg
IMG_5626.jpg
IMG_5629.jpg
IMG_5630.jpg
Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard »

SWEET !
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Very nice...! This was on Ebay? How did I miss that...!
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

This engine looks to be in good shape. Do the hydro test and then take it for a run. If you are still quite green in the hobby, don't worry about taking it apart until you get a few years under your belt. Spray the lubricating points with WD 40 to loosen up any old oil and then re oil with good stuff. The guys in the club down there should be able to help you out. For all you know, you might have a sweet running engine that only requires someone to run it properly. If there is any problems, they will reveal themselves in the running. That's my 2 cents worth.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

You picked up a very nice locomotive, especially for coming from ebay!! Usually ebay locomotives have a reputation as being horribly built and should be avoided at all costs, but it looks like you have one of the few rare exceptions here! Just to let you know, it is hard to find a working power reverser in 3 & 1/2" gauge, it definitely looks like you have one there!

Like everyone has said, the very first step will be to get the boiler hydro tested. I would agree with Steve. Just take your time cleaning up the oiling points at home. Spray WD 40 into all of the joints, push it back and forth slowly to let the old lubricant work loose (might see it as black goo or liquid starting to drip out), and then just apply new lubricating oil to all the joints.
My suggestion is to use oil instead of grease for the joints. In our scale I rarely see people using grease on their locomotives (except for one time and it was only for the axle boxes). If you can afford it, green velvet oil is the holy grail and the best stuff out there when it comes to steam oil! http://www.steamenginelube.com/orders/GV1-order.html
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know where I might be able to find drawings for this locomotive?
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Don't know about drawings but if you you look through the early issues of Model Craftsman Magazine, the founder of Little Engines, Martin Lewis, did articles about building a 3/4" scale Hudson which yours is really the "stretched" version. These old magazines can be picked up for a good price at Railpub.com. I think those articles started in 1939.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Welcome James. I am the 1" Foreman at LALS. It will be nice to see another 3/4 loco running.

I agree with everyone's comments. You need to arrange a boiler check. Call or talk to John DePhillips. He is always there on Sundays.

The third Sunday is usually Small Scale Sunday, a day for all small scales to come out and run
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member