SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT PROGRESS REPORT

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT PROGRESS REPORT

Post by Trainman4602 »

I am just about finished with the headlight design. Jay Gross has done a marvalous job in remaking it using an original Mercer light.

The new light has some improvments . It will feature real glass for both the front and the side number boards. The side number board glass will have a frosted glass supplied as well. The clear and frosted glass will sandwitch the number nagitive. The nagative were supplied by Robert Dustin with the original light kit. I may attempt to laser cut some brass or possibly use an etching as I did on the K4. I may concact Robert to see if he can still supply them as before.

The new light will have improved electricals as well. The main bulb will be 12V using a 10e socket with the proper looking globe. The numbers will be lite by an led. The kit will have a pre wired circuit board and will be supplies with a spring conduit also.

I will make up a half dozen lights to check out the assembly instructions. They will be for sale when I am finished. I will then offer the light in kit form as before. I have no firm pricing on the kit or finished light.

The final pricing will depend on the cost of chrome plating the reflector. The original kit had a commerically available metal reflector from a Ray-O-Vac flash light. They are no longer available in metal. The world is all plastic today.

The next step is to send the STL files to Shapeways . I will be leaving for the winter meets in Florida on the12th so I will say that the light will be available the first week on May 2015.

PM me if your are intrested in either a finished light or in kit form.

Here is Jay’s 3D rendering of the light. I think he captured the original look perfectly.
Attachments
Headlight-ForInternet%202-20150109 - Copy.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
bobrauper

Re: SUNBEAM HEADLIGHT PROGRESS REPORT

Post by bobrauper »

Hello Dave,
Count me in for one kit for the headlight. It will need to be the kit, as I don't need the number boards on the side of the headlight housing. I'll keep an eye on the chat board for your notice of availability. Thanks for all the great products you are offering!
Bob Rauperstrauch