Surface grinders - Do folks use them?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DeMaxx

Re: Surface grinders - Do folks use them?

Post by DeMaxx »

That's a beautiful machine. I'd let it stay in my shop just because it looks so good!
Thanks Bob

I took the CBN cup wheel and tool holder from my Cuttermaster and set them up on the surface grinder to regrind the leading edge of a corner rounding end mill. The Cuttermaster has no vertical adjustment suitable for doing this.
kvom

Post by kvom »

I have one as well. One thing I've made is grinding very thin grooving tools from HSS lathe blanks. Bench grinder roughs and then grind to the desired thickness. One can also buy/make a jig for sharpening the end flutes on endmills. I also ground the valve surfaces on my loco build.

I'm currently working on a stationary steam engine. I've ground a lot of the parts for appearance purposes. It's easier than sanding.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Thanks everyone for some feedback. Crosshead guides were the only component on my locomotive that I could think of that would make owning a surface grinder a real help. My locomotive has piston valves. I can see benefits for sharpening tools and I'm sure there will be other instances where I'll find use for one but I'm hearing that it is not an indispensible tool that one must have. I do like to see several are using the little Rockwell ToolMaker. They are compact and I see them from time to time for sale.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I have the same delta toolmaker sitting in the corner of my shop (Barely use it)
One can also buy/make a jig for sharpening the end flutes on endmills
I also have a crap load of dull HSS end mills.

Looks like I'm going to search "How to sharpen end mills" on youtube tonight. :D

Thanks!
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

I have one also......it'll head to the for sale section soon.
kvom

Post by kvom »

I did a search for the end mill sharpening jig and found this:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/metal ... AvWj8P8HAQ

It also shows a fixture for sharpening woodruff cutters.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I think for the money and floor space, you're better off skipping it for live steam locomotive building. There are only a few jobs on a locomotive where it would be useful, in my opinion, and those jobs can be done another way. Note: I didn't say that they weren't useful, just not so much for building a Steam Engine. I've had access to one for the past 15+ years and have yet to use it on anything related to steam locomotive construction.

We have 3 of them here at work, and they do a very good job making highly precise parts. Things like sharpening cutter blades for a bagging machine, truing up rails for a throughfeed centerless, cutting a flat into a piece of Thompson shafting, and making tooling that is flat and parallel within a few ten-thousandths of an inch. Most of that is stuff that you wouldn't need in a home shop, especially where space is limited.

There is a small one that I was considering getting, which I could have picked up for about $100 a year ago. It was similar to the one in the picture above except that the motor was higher in the air and the belt to the spindle ran vertically instead of horizontally. It wasn't nearly as clean and nice looking, but it worked fine. In the end, I decided that I wouldn't use it enough to justify it taking up space in the shop.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Most of the tools I have aren't needed for locomotive construction. And in fact I could get along quite nicely without them.....but I keep them just because I LIKE them. That is the only reason I need to own anything. To the world at large we look strange as very few folks "need" a miniature steam locomotive. And yes I do have a little bench top Sanford surface grinder.

Keith
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I have one mostly because I got good deal on it. It dose come in useful at times. But it is not a machine that is necessary to building live steam locomotive. You can hand lap the slide valves and cross head parts.

Rob
RichD

Post by RichD »

Add me to the Toolmaker Grinder owner list.
I use it often for sharpening tooling, punches, dies, etc.
Locomotives parts as well.
Adding a downfeed dial indicator to the head helps to achieve accuracy.
Happy Rails !
RichD
Colorado Midland Ry Ten Wheeler U/C
Kerr Stuart Wren NG 0-4-0 U/C
www.csppry.org
Imagination is your best tool.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I had a deal for a toolmaker in nice shape for $350, but I didn't have the money and I didn't have the room.

I have the money now, but still no room.

I'll probably get my dad's Sanford, which takes up a lot less room.

Steve
Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

I know of a decent standard Brown & Sharp surface grinder for sale near Philadelphia, PA if anyone is interested. Send me a PM if you would like to look at it...