Live Steam article about MEG brand engines

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Live Steam article about MEG brand engines

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I seem to recall reading an article in Live Steam magazine within the past couple of years about a couple of guys who purchased MEG live steam engines (one I think was a “Wendy” and the other an “Uncle Sam”). The article discussed how they refurbished them, updated them mechanically and cosmetically, and then discussed their operation. Since I am building a Sweet William engine which has a similar chassis, the article would be very interesting to me right now.

I have some gaps in my LS collection but I think it was from the past 5 years. I checked with Neil at Live Steam but he couldn’t find the article or confirm it existed. I suppose I could be dreaming. I am hoping to buy the back issue but don’t know which one it is.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to locating this magazine article?

Thanks.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
kenrinc

Re: Live Steam article about MEG brand engines

Post by kenrinc »

Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading: May/June 2008

Duplex Corliss No. 2 on the cover.

Ken-
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Excellent! Thank you!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

It was a trio in Texas with MEG Steam Wendys. One of those MEGs is now located at Southern California Live Steamers, although I believe it is for sale again.

They freelanced those MEGs nicely. The MEG makes a good base for modification. The irony is that by the time the article finally came out, one of the owners had died. My friend bought the MEG from the estate, and that is the one now at SCLS.

The Uncle Sam was an upgraded Wendy with different detail parts such as a stock round saddle tank etc to make it look like a Porter. I do not know how many Uncle Sams were built outside of the factory prototype, possibly none. The factory Uncle Sam lives at Bitter Creek and has now been modified extensively (improved) from its original look.

I am still in the process of completely Americanizing mine. The next step is cast, spoke drivers to replace the machined, drilled drivers and then it will be pretty much complete. The MEG was designed to be as simple as possible to build, and it's up to the builder to add embellishments.

Photo 1 shows the factory MEG Wendy if you build it to plan as a European 2ft gauge switch engine. From Montreal Engineering Group (MEG) website which is now defunct.

Photo 2 shows my own Wendy recently.

Photo 3 shows one of the three MEGs from the article after my friend Jeff Badger got ahold of it and fixed it up a bit.

Photo 4 shows the Factory MEG Uncle SAM shortly after Jim Sabin acquired it from Robert Morris.

Photo 5 shows the Uncle Sam after extensive cosmetic overhaul and conversion to coal firing.

these engines, if you put water in the saddle will pull anything. All the weight on four drivers makes for a lot of traction. They are also free steaming and most importantly they are comfortable to operate if you are tall and somewhat stiff. You will enjoy your Sweet William!
Attachments
The Factory MEG Wendy.
The Factory MEG Wendy.
My own Wendy done out as a logging engine.
My own Wendy done out as a logging engine.
One of the three MEGs from the article.
One of the three MEGs from the article.
Factory MEG Uncle Sam with stock look.
Factory MEG Uncle Sam with stock look.
Extensively modified Uncle Sam a few years later.
Extensively modified Uncle Sam a few years later.
Last edited by Harlock on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Also, if you're looking for a side tanker, this is what mine looked like before I got ahold of it.

And I couldn't resist setting up this photo at the Pacific Coast Railroad in 2011 with Jim's Uncle Sam (pre-remodel) and a very similar full sized HK Porter belonging to a friend.
Attachments
08-08-08_BCWRR-NG08-7903.jpg
11-04-30_pacific-coast-roundup-7662-L_resize.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks Harlock.

Ironically (did we discuss this before?) I am leaning towards making mine a side tanker. Something along the lines of the many 16mm (gauge 1 track) live steam models that are popular in the UK on garden railways. I don't really like the appearance of the saddle tank, especially the blocky one that originally came on the MEG, and think side tanks would look really nifty.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Tony Hubner, one of the founders of Meg Steam, provided the following wonderful story of "Wendy".

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Meg_Steam_Inc
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A delightful read.
Thanks for posting it.
RussN