They just don't get it

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

John_S

Re: They just don't get it

Post by John_S »

Steam Engine Dan wrote:I can agree with a lot of you guys, over the years ive had countless kids and adults ask or say the stupidest things about our trains. ive heard em all from hey where is the smoke unit and sound system to oh does it have digital command control. where are the batteries. and lets not forget the all time classic, does it really burn coal?

oh my god it drives me insane. :x
Although there is one exception that I'm aware of... there's an individual out there (in the Southeast US) that has a travesty of a "locomotive." It's a mogul that's all fake with an electric motor.

If he were to ever arrive at the CSPPRY I would kindly ask him to not bother unloading and be on his way. Just sayin ...
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I doubt somebody asking "How do you steer this thing" is a potential recruit for the hobby.
We should follow our mother advice to never call anybody stupid, guilty!
But the brutal fact is that 1/2 of the population has less than average intelligence, I do not go around pointing out the fact to the person, but the fact remains a fact.
Now for PC sake please sing with me... "Everybody is beautiful ... in his own way..."
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hi folks:

As the original poster, I’d like to step in with a request. I began this thread merely to relate a couple of amusing stories about how people don’t understand the nature of our hobby, and to comment about how our culture has shifted away from mechanical pursuits. In that post, no one’s intelligence was impugned and no negative comments were made. It was not my intent to start a thread that includes making disparaging comments about other people.

I think we all agree that all questions should be given honest answers and the people asking them should be treated decently. To do otherwise is not in the spirit of humanity to which we all aspire.

I believe that we can share amusing comments about our hobby without demeaning the people who made them. Therefore, I ask that further comments be kept to the spirit of the original post: some folks don’t understand our hobby, probably because our culture has shifted away from one that makes mechanical things. If we can’t keep this moving that way, I will ask the moderators to lock the thread. Thank you.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

cbrew wrote:the biggest one that drives me nutty is when an Adult says "I like your choo choo"..... young kids get a pass.. but an adult .....
Depends on how cute the mom is.....
Matt Mason
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Hi Everybody-- I had the biggest "insult" of my life the other day !!
I had run several photos of my late grandfather's 1/2-inch scale live steam basement railroad on the OGR Magazine forum to show the O-gaugers what one man did 85-90 years ago with lots of knowledge but limited raw materials or machine tools. I received over 47-replies from readers who were amazed at my grandfather's craftsmanship. Except for ONE, that is !!

To quote his reply:
"I enjoyed the videos of the basement trains of your grandfather. He made some wonderful locomotives but I am more curious about the freight cars. Some of them look as if they were kit built. I am currently trying to find out more information about some of these kits that were made in the 30's & 40's and offered in Standard Gauge (2-1/8"). Your 2-1/2" gauge trains would fall in the same category as the SG and 2-1/2" trains were fairly interchangeable by changing out the trucks. One of these makers was Rollin J. Lobaugh from San Francisco so it is quite likely your grandfather got kits and/or parts from him. Anyway, I would like to see more pictures if you have them of the freight cars. Also, if you had any of the old catalogs from that era that would be very helpful in my quest."

I think most of you nice folks on Chaski know the reputation about my grandfather who also was the Founder of the Golden Gate Live Steamers. Infact, the club got started in our basement. Mike Massee knows the true story !
Most of the rolling stock was made out of wood scrounged from Kraft Cheese Boxes-- tanks from former Carbon Tetrachloride bottles were used to create tank cars. And on and on...
Vic Shattock started making 1/2-inch scale models in 1913 in Canada, however, I do NOT want to say anything further, OR else I might have the wrath of Harry Wade upon me!! But I think that guy I quoted was NUTS !!

All I will say is, IF you care about further info, please check this, you might like it:
http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... r_Shattock

Cheers.
Ken Shattock
GGLS
IBLS
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

How is the mans thought a personal attack on you, or your grandfather? Maybe your gf was friends with the kit builder and they shared projects. The possibilities are endless.
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

Ever wonder why Navy ships have a machine shop on board.
It is a valuable skill to be able to make a part from metal. I have saved myself the cost of my machines many times.
BGBill
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
05hwy28

Post by 05hwy28 »

tornitore45 wrote:I doubt somebody asking "How do you steer this thing" is a potential recruit for the hobby.
Why not? Shock them with the info that a train steers itself.

http://youtu.be/y7h4OtFDnYE

Everyone should be treated as a potential recruit... There are many tasks that need done at a club. Not every club member needs to be a locomotive builder or operator. Secretary, treasurer, snack shop, advertising, website, newsletters, president, vp, etc, etc.
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

This really is an interesting thread. I remember my early beginnings in the hobby. I was an unusually young guy at age 25 when I got into live steam. I'm sure I asked plenty of "dumb" questions. Heck I'm sure I still have some "dumb" questions inside me yet to ask. I do remember getting gruff or curmudgeonly answers sometimes. At least that's how I felt. My love of the hobby was (and is) so strong that I really didn't care all that much about being made to feel stupid sometimes.

I also reflect back on when I was a young teen showing my dad the newfangled CD player I had just gotten and feeling so incredulous when he asked me if you had to "rewind" CDs. I'm sure my answer to him was pretty snarky. I'm pretty sure I was kind of a jerk to be honest. I try to think of that moment when people ask seemingly silly questions about steam.

Honestly I really enjoy sharing the hobby with mainstream public. Steam is magical. It's inherently compelling and people are curious. I'm not necessarily trying to "recruit" people for the hobby. I'm just trying to make people a little more steam literate and share my passion a bit. I have seen people laugh or giggle when I am riding my train on the high track at GGLS. When you think about it, the hobby is inherently silly in the respect that we are full grown adults astride tiny trains. Honestly though I could care less if I look a little goofy riding my "choo-choo" because it is so much fun opening that throttle and feeling the power of steam that I am lost in the moment being a locomotive engineer just like I wanted to be when I was a kid. And for me that feeling is priceless.

Regarding people not knowing how to make stuff anymore, I gotta say there seems to be a bit of a renaissance forming in this respect with the "maker" movement. Make Magazine is actually printed in the same size and format of the old Popular Mechanics and it really is bringing some momentum to the DIY culture. At least it seems that way here in the SF Bay Area.

Just my thoughts and ramblings...

Happy rails,
Eric Maschwitz
Head of Operations, Squirrel Mountain Mine
Former Whistle Punk,
Gunn Lake Land and Lumber, a subsidiary of East Devils Hill Lumber Co
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Eric M. stated:
"Honestly I really enjoy sharing the hobby with mainstream public. Steam is magical. It's inherently compelling and people are curious. I'm not necessarily trying to "recruit" people for the hobby. I'm just trying to make people a little more steam literate and share my passion a bit. I have seen people laugh or giggle when I am riding my train on the high track at GGLS. When you think about it, the hobby is inherently silly in the respect that we are full grown adults astride tiny trains. Honestly though I could care less if I look a little goofy riding my "choo-choo" because it is so much fun opening that throttle and feeling the power of steam that I am lost in the moment being a locomotive engineer just like I wanted to be when I was a kid. And for me that feeling is priceless."

Eric perfectly - and eloquently - stated my thoughts, too. Thanks.
~RN
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Yeah, I was doing some welding on my 20-something nephew's sand rail. He bought a bunch of pre-made brackets for seat belt, light mounts and such. He was panicked when he came out short on a couple of them. He was certain that he would have to run to the 4-Wheel/dune buggy store for more!

He was surprised when I told him that we could make any that he wanted! (I did have some 2" X 3/16" steel strip on hand)

I showed him how to mark out and drill the holes, mark an outline, cut it on my bandsaw, polish on sanding belt, etc. He was amazed that he could do this!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Helping any hands-on kid, no matter what the level, is always a kick for me. (Kids can be wide-eyed at 40 too!) For me its old news mostly. But the eyes of the trainee tell me its Christmas all over again. Thats my payoff. As I grow older, I have a decreased tolerance for ignorance, and lazy questions. I refuse to help, without engagement of the one involved. But, If they are willing to put up with my testy temperament, and get dirty, I am in for the long haul. Just me.

There are the kids that build the coaster car, and all his 'friends' that want to ride. It will always be that way.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.