1.5" piston ring

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Oktrainboys

1.5" piston ring

Post by Oktrainboys »

Can anyone tell me where to find a 1.5" metal piston ring. The rings on my 2" scale Pacific's admission piston valves are metal, flat with a width of approx. 1/16th of an inch and a thickness of approx. 1 MM. One more thing, the piston ring ends where the ring closes are not flat, but rather have a toothed appearance.
The OD of the piston head is 1.5".
Any idea's from any of you miracle workers??
Thanks in advance.....
RCW

Re: 1.5" piston ring

Post by RCW »

Don't know if this will work, but try http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Master_Catal ... er2012.pdf
page 335 ff.

Say "Hi!" to Truman and the LOCO guys for me.

Bob Williams
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Great try Bob....I just looked at Hastings, it appears my admission piston OD at 1.5" is smaller than anything they have in stock.....anyone else have ideas ??
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I use superior piston rings here is the web site

http://www.hydra-seal.com/index.php

They have sizes from .500 to 32 inches they should have the size and style that you need. You may have to but a minimum amount.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Thanks Mercer! That should do it.....just wondering, is that K4 that is for sale a direct sister to yours??
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes but I have better detail
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Trainman4602 wrote:I use superior piston rings here is the web site

http://www.hydra-seal.com/index.php

They have sizes from .500 to 32 inches they should have the size and style that you need. You may have to but a minimum amount.
Dave, what do those sell for? I like that you can spec. the wall thickness as most IC rings are way too stiff.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Fred

It has been a while (10years) since I got some from them but I do know you will have to order 12 to make it worth your while same price for one as for 12. If you are using them on a piston valve you need 8 so you will have spares.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

If they are still made, you may try an Automatic Transmission supply shop and ask for this size ring ( I believe they are called sealing rings ) for a 1960's era Chrysler Torqueflite transmission, possibly the A-727 model. These are what I use on the valve spools on my GS-1. The rings may be a bit wider than your application so they may need thinning down. I may still have one in a drawer someplace in my shop and if I can find it I will measure it and take a photo to share.

I believe I used this company but remember that was 30 years ago. They have a local store here in Sacramento.

http://www.transtar1.com/catalogs

Good luck with your search.

Donald
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

So the manufacturers listed above offer rings in cast iron, stainless steel, bronze and several other materials. What is the best material to use in a piston? bronze seems interesting because of low wear patterns, e.g. Not grooving the piston wall.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Oktrainboys

Post by Oktrainboys »

Called Hydra-seal today with exact diminsions of my cast iron piston piston rings. the helpful gentleman on the other end had no problem fabricating new cast iron piston rings to my exact dimensions. This is the company to call if you need piston rings. Thanks Mercer for the recommendation and to all else for helping!
EnidPuceflange

Post by EnidPuceflange »

Since you're sorted out this is really just a shout out for Clupet - who I found were absolutely great to deal with if a little odd in this day and age (I phoned them up and said what I wanted, they sent them to me with an invoice, I paid them by return)

Clupet Piston Ring & Gauge Co
Factory B, Solway Trading Estate, Maryport, Cumbria CA15 8NF
Tel: +44 1900 818361