Norfolk & Western 0-8-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gamh44

Norfolk & Western 0-8-0

Post by gamh44 »

All

I have some queries about the N&W 0-8-0 S1/S1A Switchers. Specifically about the tender on these prototypes. There appear to be two types, one being similar to the C&O 0-8-0 tender and the other being a redisgned version with greater capacity, the latter being seen on the majority of N&W engines. I am interested in the use of each of these and any specifications, drawings, photographs or plans that might be available. Suggestions of relevant and useful printed material also gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance

Geof
RONALD

Re: Norfolk & Western 0-8-0

Post by RONALD »

If you have not already done so, you should visit: http://www.nwhs.org/archives/

There are 345 documents on the S1: http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdo ... =rs&id=235

370 on the S1A: http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdo ... =rs&id=236

If you are not a member of the N&W Historical Society you should join.

They publish a great quarterly all about the N&W and Virginian, I have been a member for many years.

I was lucky to be able to photograph N&W steam when it was still around, including the S1.
Attachments
DSCN3160_2.jpg
DSCN3165_2.jpg
DSCN3168_2.jpg
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Gam44 and Ronald

Those are great pictures! This is one hell of a switcher. As a kid I fell in love with a NPT (Northern pacific Terminal) no 16. She was still under steam. She had slopped back tender was used in the yard and roundhouse area. I'm going to show my ignorance now and ask. I'm assuming the S1 were road switchers? Rear visibility is very limited. So what were the duties of this style of 0-8-0. Did they get on the road? What was their speed limit?
Geof this should make a powerful model too!

Thanks

Clint
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Clint, in the late 1950's with my Nikon S and Bolex H16R I spent many enjoyable hours shooting the N&W while I was assigned to a little Navy base at Yorktown, Va.

Needless to say that was a looong time ago, and I do not remember much about individual motive power usage, I never did.

Here are two email sites that if they allow you to join, you can post your questions and get expert advice. I'm not sure how you can sign up for them, you may have to be an N&WHS member:

nw-mailing-list@nwhs.org
nw-modeling-list@nwhs.org
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello gamh44!
Welcome in the club! What about constructing your S 1 for 5 " gauge but in scale 1 in 10 (as Steamchris and I do)?
We promise a lot of enlarged size and punch in comparation to 1 " scale or 1 in 11.3!
As a result there could be all the great four on the N&W (Y6b, A, J and S 1) steaming one day.
Just a thought ...
Look for Winston Link's book 'The Last Steam RR in America' - and on the NHWS-site of course!

Best regards
Asteamhead
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi,

the advice to the NWHS is the best place for your search.
These guys over there make some awesome work.
Those archive there is a true Treasure chest of all the nice N&W stuff.
I bought there all the drawings i need so far for my J, good quality fair prices.

My recommendation the NWHS.ORG.

all the best
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
gamh44

Post by gamh44 »

Gents

What a great resource this forum is. Thanks so much for the advice. I have been through the NWHS site a few times previously and will now join on your advice. Despite looking at the images there many times previously, I have done so again and answered at least one of my questions.

RONALD Your photos are GOLD! Wow. Thanks so much for sharing.

Asteamhead, scale is already set, but 5" it certainly is.

Clint, these are some questions I would also like to know the answers to. Best I can offer is a top speed of 50mph. It would be rattling at that speed given the size of the drivers. And yes, this was built for its power.

Given the interest in N&W Steam (including a couple of beautiful looking engines), below are a couple of images of the starting point for this project (as such). I *acquired* this engine and subsequently need to build a tender. It could be a dream as I have a number of other *projects* to finish first. The power plant is mostly done with some plumbing and cosmetics to finish off (understatement #1).

Once I get going, I will post some progress.

Geof

Last edited by gamh44 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Geof,

great work, good to see other N&W models out there.

Power further so.

Kind Regards from Germany.
Steamchris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Geof,
Your engine ist just looking fine! No thought you were on your way so far yet. Please let us be informed about your further steps until the S 1 is steaming!

All the best from Asteamhead
Attachments
One of the latest photos of my A 1239 still under construction.<br />Mostly made of stainless steel.
One of the latest photos of my A 1239 still under construction.
Mostly made of stainless steel.