Photographs from the Rail Giants Railroad Museum

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

GS14403

Photographs from the Rail Giants Railroad Museum

Post by GS14403 »

A casual comment one fine Friday evening led to a Saturday morning invitation to be driven to Pomona so I could get some detail shots and measurements to help finish up my GS-1. A one thousand mile, two day whirlwind trip resulted in about 500 photographs, mainly of the SP 5021 but the UP 9000 and ATSF 3450 received some love as well. Would have liked to stay longer and get lots more pictures however my driver needed to be back home by Monday morning, early! Thanks dear wife for indulging me and my demanding hobby. She even agreed to hold the tape measure in the spots that she could reach.

I have posted about 200 or so of the photo's already and most of the rest should show up in the next week or two, or three, etc....

Anyway here is the link and as you can see some parts received the lions share of attention. Hopefully, even if you do not model these locomotives, the pictures can provide ideas on how other railroads assembled their locomotives and tenders.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dyungling/albums

Unexpected bonuses from the trip are photo's of the Worthington pumps on the ATSF locomotive and tender details on the UP locomotive that were not on the SP locomotive. Thanks to Harriman common standards many UP and SP details were the same or very similar.

And again, a big thanks to Ken Rinehart for sharing his detail shots of the 5021's tender and getting me worked up to do the same.

Donald
ken572

Re: Photographs from the Rail Giants Railroad Museum

Post by ken572 »

Donald. :D

Thanks for sharing these Great Pictures.

Very Cool.. 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

GS14403 A casual comment one fine Friday evening led to a Saturday morning invitation to be driven to Pomona so I could get some detail shots and measurements to help finish up my GS-1. A one thousand mile, two day whirlwind trip resulted in about 500 photographs, mainly of the SP 5021 but the UP 9000 and ATSF 3450 received some love as well. Would have liked to stay longer and get lots more pictures however my driver needed to be back home by Monday morning, early! Thanks dear wife for indulging me and my demanding hobby. She even agreed to hold the tape measure in the spots that she could reach.

I have posted about 200 or so of the photo's already and most of the rest should show up in the next week or two, or three, etc....

Donald

Hello GS14403,
Thank you for posting all such excellent photos! Those of the UP 9000 are extremely rare ones.
Such precise documentation is what I'm missing mostly in both usual 3/4 front photos and books dealing with US-locomotives. If a friend of mine hadn't taken lots of similar photos of the A 1218 in Roanoke, building my A 1239 would have worked out much harder. Drawings are one thing but just locking at your photos of the nathan lubricators tell the full story!

All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
One of several photos taken at the museum Roanoke
One of several photos taken at the museum Roanoke
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Posted 52 photographs of the ATSF Hudson today. Noticed the other photo's still had the camera file name. Once the rest are ready to be posted the existing ones will be replaced with ones that name reflect the subject.

Asteamhead, I agree totally, photographs really help make sense of the drawings. Also photographs are necessary when drawings do not exist.

Donald
SP&S700

Post by SP&S700 »

Donald

Great Pictures, Wonderful.

When I was there 2 years ago and wanted to get it. being a week day no one was around except some UP guys one named Ed. Who was nice and polite, but let me know that no he could not let me in :( So I took movies from the fence. So these are better than I could have done, Thanks! Very much. OK here is the question.
I believe on the 10th and 11th pic on ATSF 3450 it shows a Worthington SA hot water pump, (driver looks a bit wrong). What I was going to ask is... is the Tank on the pilot deck some type of coffin water heater and the pump forward of the air compressor is a water pump yes? Whose manufacture is it. Also on the long shots on the fireman's side the SA hot water pump seems to disappear? :) Was this a test?:)
So do you have any info on the hot water system?

Thanks

Clint
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Clint,

No test, just a huge error on my part. I should lay the blame at Hudson Honey's feet but in reality I am to blame. She is building a ATSF Hudson and has also documented building Worthington Hot Water Pumps. So upon seeing the closeups of the HW pump I mistakenly tossed them in with the ATSF loco instead of the UP 9000 where they rightfully belong. The ATSF Hudson has an Elesco type feedwater heater with the exchange tank under the smokebox instead of on top of it. I was just looking at those photo's this morning and realized my glaring gaffe. It also made me realize how much more there was to study there. But again I was at the mercy of my wife's schedule and consider myself fortunate to even have had the opportunity that was afforded me to get the photo's I managed to get.

The sorting and processing of the rest of the Rail Giants photo's has taken a back seat whilst the thousand or two photo's of the SP 2467, SP 4294, NWP 112 and other displays at the California State Railroad Museum get organized. My photo filing system is rather primitive and needs much improvement. I, along with Robert Williams, are turning our attention to the train steam heat line and fittings. He has access to a unit at Jamestown and I have already taken several dozen photo's of the parts on the SP 2467 at the CSRM. Hoping in the next week or two to take a set of calipers and ruler to the museum and measure the assemblies so they can be accurately reproduced. How the parts will be made is in discussion. I have a 3D cad-cam program and may try my hand at learning 3D drafting. Maybe the parts can be 3D printed and used as masters for lost wax casting. Don't really know exactly what we are going to do but at least those parts have our attention.

Thanks for catching my goof. It is good to know that my efforts to share this info is being scrutinized and appreciated.

Donald