Live-in Railroad club

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

live_steamer

Live-in Railroad club

Post by live_steamer »

Back in earlier days there was a lot of talk in Live Steam and Modeltec as to live steam clubs that were live-in. there seamed to be a lot of interest in that. What do we think now? I am looking into this topic and investigating the idea. I would love to hear what people would like to say on this topic. Please respond.

Thanks

Tom
Bill Shields

Re: Live-in Railroad club

Post by Bill Shields »

depends on who you are living with...

a bad neighbor can ruin a lot, even with a shared common interest like live steam.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

So is this an idea similar to living next to a golf course? There is a "central" layout with people having individual houses that are on or abut the layout land?

It could also be structured as a 'condo association, I suppose. The association owns all the property; the dwellers own only the structure they live in.

Like Bill said, there are pluses and minuses to any sort of association like this. You need strict by-laws and you have to expect there are going to be some people who will buck at least some of the rules. I could relate some stories I've been told by people I know who live in communities like this. As much as having access to a layout would be nice, I don't think I'd join...
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Tom, I believe there have been several such arrangements in different parts of the country. As Bill noted...if you're going to share property lines with someone...better make sure your get along. Other problems...one of the neighbors passes away...you can only hope another live steamer buys the property from the widow and leaves the RR intact. Another situation, one of the neighbors moves out resulting in the same problem...will another railroader buy the property and agree to the terms of the joint RR.

After reading the original post, it's not clear if you're looking to enter into such a RR agreement with another hobbyist(s)...or...are you just looking to see if such arrangements existed? The answer to the latter...I believe so. I know there was such an arrangement in MI, might have been something in CA and FL as well. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I have always thought that good fences make good neighbours.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ACTUALLY....living on a farm where you neighbors are deer, turkey and other wild critters are good neighbors.

if they get pesky, there is always the 12 gauge to solve the problem.

considering the amount of work necessary to build and maintain a RR (how many man-years / year are required?), it really isn't all that practical an idea.

A CLUB has a large area to draw on...and even then, the number of 'workers' is a small %
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

A common problem with "homeowner associations" (I live next to one) is there is ALWAYS an A-type controlling individual (aka, a bully) who wants to run the show his (or her) way. There have been a series of such individuals in the association next door and rather than improve things they tend to make life miserable for homeowners (and sometimes the neighbors!) Of course in our context, live steam clubs, this never happens . . . .
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Train Mountain in Oregon, has a set-up like that. Purchase a parcel of land on the property and build a small home. Spur from your home to the 38 miles of 7-1/2 gauge track! Some homes already built have been for sale recently
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I remember at one time there was discussion of building such a place in central Florida. This is probably what the original poster was talking about. Gosh, that's been quite a while back. Sort-of a retirement community for Live Steamers.

I remember it being said that there would be individual homes, and each would have access to a track which would be shared by all residents and would run behind the houses back yard, sort-of like a fairway, with a spur to each individual house or storage area or whatever. Like you said, that many people there would have to be some pretty good rules, and of course track maintenance expenses would have to be shared by all. Probably the track would need to be maintained by the landowner/operator, and I think that was the way this one was going to work. I don't think that they ever built it, but were talking about it to gage interest. You'd probably need about 12 to 15 residences to make it go.

I can see it being fun. I can also see it being a headache, depending on the person(s) involved and what the rules are.

Like GWRDriver said: I hear too many horror stories about a lot of homeowner's associations, aggressive policing, asinine rules, etc... and I personally wouldn't put up with that crap for a minute. If I ever have to move, I plan on telling the realtor that any place governed by a homeowner's association is unacceptable. Of course, I live out in the country and I am used to not having neighbors too close by and being able to do pretty much whatever I want.
live_steamer

Post by live_steamer »

I am toying with the idea. Most of your comments are already being addressed. That is why I posted here to get your ideas of what you want and what you don't want. I have found several usable properties, ranging from 2000 to 17000 acres. I am looking at quite a bit of entertainment. Golf course, tennis courts, Football, Baseball, swimming, boating, all the properities have year round creeks and some have hunting on them now. All sort of wildlife abound. Quail, Doves, bobcats, bear, black tail deer, tule elk, mountain lions, Rainbow trout, bass, and other fishing. All the properties are close to fair sized cities but I plan on most of the same amenities on our own land if large enough. Rules I would want would be minimal, safety is paramount. All must be safe and able to live as they want as long as they do not encroach on their neighbors. I am thinking on 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots but not planning on them being right next to each other. every house would have a track to it. Also available would N, HO, O, Nn3, HOn3/30, On3/30 layout areas. Theatre, at least two restaurants, couple of fast food places, gas station, stores and hobby shops as needed. looking at engine facilities, machine shop, carpenter shop etc. car barns, rental locomotives (diesels). I would want training classes available year round but especially when we have a meet. I would think a small hotel, RV camp sites with hook up, Camping sites with water laundry facilites, showering facilities, possibly a boy/girl scout facilities for jamborees where they can camp and learn about railroads. These are some of the ideas I am working on for the presentation for funding.
Tom
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Isn't "Wales West" in Florida similar to that? Except instead of houses, there are trailers.

http://www.waleswest.com/
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

if you're planing on a place 2000 acres or more, I'd think you'd want to build it in the SE part of the US as an alternative to Train Mountain. If you're expecting retirees, what amenities are close? After all when the grandkids visit, riding trains will only keep them busy a day or two. What about Medical facilities? Need to think abt what Train Mountain doesn't have as an alternative. What retirement incomes are you expecting in your residents?

I like the idea (as retirement is only a few years off) but like everything, the devil is in the details.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe