Stuck drill fragment -HELP!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

kvom

Stuck drill fragment -HELP!

Post by kvom »

1/8" cobalt twist drill broken in through hole in CI. There's only about 1/8" of the drill still stuck, but it's resisted pressing out with vise and arbor press. Also broke a carbide EM trying to drill it out. Heated with a torch a bit but probably not enough. Could resort to 20-ton shop press.

Any ideas. I have a day's work already in the piece and would prefer not to have to make another. :x
SteveM

Re: Stuck drill fragment -HELP!

Post by SteveM »

You probably already realize this, but at the very least, if you are going to press, be sure to fit pieces inside of it to make sure you don't bend the heck out of it.

Is there any way to warm up the part and then get cool off just the drill bit sticking out?

Steve
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I've removed small taps with a carbide dental burr. You could also make a hollow end-mill-type cutter. The first might and the second definitely would require that you silver solder a plug in and redrill.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting comments in regards to using heat. That's a waste of time, folks. HSS is very difficult to anneal---and must be cooled at a dreadfully slow rate to be successful. That would require heating the part in an inert atmosphere, to prevent corrosion of the piece, then you'd have to deal with the sure-to-come movement of the heated part, as stresses are relaxed. All in all, using heat isn't going to be a solution.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I think heat was suggested as a way to help the cast iron release it's grip on the broken drill bit, not an attempt to anneal the broken drill.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

I have successfully removed small broken taps with diamond dental burrs. If you ask your dentist nicely, he will probably give you one or two of his old ones for free. Put the burr in a Dremel or its equivalent, and use a microscope (if you have one) so you can see what you are doing. Its not a five minute job, but it works!

Been there, done that.

Richard Trounce.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Are you trying to push it into the steam chest? It broke off because it got clogged from not withdrawing it to clear the chips. You might try pushing it from the drill point end and back it out. This would help to unclog the chips and release it.
Good luck,
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Fred had the best plan in my view, do not forget some penetrating oil, soak it overnight.
Press or better, hammer on a sturdy piece of steel bridged between the bit and a shim same thickness of the chest wall, impact is better than steady press. Patience needed.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
kvom

Post by kvom »

Fred is the winner: steel bar through the opening and two other bars on each side against vise jaws. Popped free with little effort.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

kvom wrote:Fred is the winner: steel bar through the opening and two other bars on each side against vise jaws. Popped free with little effort.
Another job well done!
~RN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Even though you got it out...

When all else fails (for the next time), soak it in vinegar with a pinch of salt.

It may need to sit for a few days, but the drill WILL loosen up.

Trick learned from Charlie Purinton 30 years ago.

worked then..works now. Not very scientific, but sometimes the 'old tricks' still educate the dog.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Bill Shields wrote:When all else fails (for the next time), soak it in vinegar with a pinch of salt.
I had a similar situation happen to me once and that actually worked! Was a broken HSS tap wedged well down in the hole. At the suggestion of my Father, I filled the top part of the hole with vinegar and let it sit for a couple days and when I came back to dig out the tap, with a completely pessimistic attitude, the tap nearly fell out! LOL

Ken-