Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

Drawings

Post by cbrew »

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for drawings for an express style truck
Better yet [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Drawings for a booster truck that would go under a tender
I would like to do something that would really get the purists in an uproar [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Thanks Again
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill_Gardei

Re: Drawings

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Chris:

That's easy, just put a pair of Tom Bee 3-axle
buckeye trucks under it. Better yet, one of each.

Bill
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Bill, You should have seen the tender I was using for test runs. The tender was about foot longer then the engine
You talk about the looking funny, but that’s fine, ok was for testing
Anyways I am going to put a booster truck on the front of the tender, because you may know, two drive axles with 8.5 inch drivers don’t have a lot of starting traction.
Chris
The one who likes to be different [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Chris, Yeah, that booster truck ought to send the rivet counters among us into hysterics! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img] One should never condem the other fellow just because there ain't no prototype. There was this guy who showed up at Mid-South several years ago. He had this homemade loco, American I believe it was, that used a piece of 6" pipe for a boiler and in order to get a wagon top on it, he sliced another piece of pipe lengthways and welded it to the top of the rear of the boiler. For drivers he had four, 4 spoke cast iron pulleys that had been made into drive wheels (don't remember how he did it) . The entire valve motion including what passed for Stephenson links was made of #9 wire! Thing got out of adjustment a bit and he grabbed up some vise-grip pliers and bent it around till it was timed again. Dang thing passed the boiler pressure test and ran like a striped a** ape. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] Never saw it again. Anyone ever remember seeing this loco??? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (damned to hell) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Chris_W

OK, Unk...

Post by Chris_W »

I don't think your "crime" rates being damned to hell. It's more of a minor thing so you probably only should be "darned to heck". There you will be greeted by Phil, the Prince of Insufficent Light, who will prod you with his pitchspoon if you get out of line!
Followers of Dilbert will probably jump all over me for this one [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Cheers,
Chris
willy

Re: OK, Unk...

Post by willy »

Is Phil related to Lucas Electrical aka the manufacturers of electrical products found in British refrdgerators and the MG's? Lucas is known as the prince of darkness. When it gets dark it stops working!

You know why the British like warm beer? Their refridgerators were made by Lucas. When you close the door the light goes out! LOL

Sorry, I can not take credit for that joke. It was in a friends motorcycle book on BMW's.

-willy- [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
TrotFox

Post by TrotFox »

I know I've seen a photo of a prototipical tender booster truck. It was a 2-axle express type with side-rods! Can't rememebr for the life of me where I saw it though...

I'll keep an eye out.

Here's a photo of one that's for sale. { : ]
http://www.railsales.com/sparts.html

This one has a booster on the rear tender truck.
http://members.aol.com/rlsteam2/lfloree.jpg

Here's another on the rear.
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mnsteam/mstl451.jpg

I see no reason for any 'purist' to be upset with a tender booster. ; ]

Trot, the unusual, fox... ; ]
Chris_W

Re: OK, Unk...

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Willy,
I think Phil is just one of the lesser minions and hasn't graduated to cursing refridgerators.
BTW... are you near Rockland? A good friend of mine owns Isaac H Evans at the North End Shipyard there.
Cheers,
Chris
willy

Re: Rockland OT

Post by willy »

Rockland? Thats a good hour and a half south of me (two hours with tourist driving). I am a wee bit nawth of Ba Haba, ba about 5 mahls of open watah.

-willy- [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
davestea

Post by davestea »

ok guys - can someone please explain about what a booster is/does.

the photos don't offer a lot of detail.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

Added tractive effort [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
willy

Post by willy »

The booster is a novel idea of how to make a additional set of drivers that can be placed some where else. IE replace a truck or the cab wheels. It is a interesting one, yet did they have reverse on those?

Imagine if you will you have a skittish atlantic. If you put a booster truck under your tender, you would no longer be skittish comming out of the station.

-willy-