Pipe threads in brass/bronze?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: Pipe threads in brass/bronze?

Post by Fred_V »

This was a brand new die from Japan. I think the biggest problem is the naval brass, tough stuff. I've had problems with regular brass also but I think it was more that the dies/taps were used on steel too. I should follow Bill's suggestion.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I like to use Moly-Dee on stringy naval and aluminum bronze. It keeps the brass from sticking to the die teeth and tearing the threads. I also keep my new dies for brass and the old ones for steel. For a tapered thread, it's always best to taper the part being threaded, especially with the fine MTP threads. The excess chips get bound in there quickly and the excess heat causes the brass to expand into the back clearance of the die. Can you say SQUEEEAAAAL
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Bruce_Mowbray wrote:I like to use Moly-Dee on stringy naval and aluminum bronze. It keeps the brass from sticking to the die teeth and tearing the threads. I also keep my new dies for brass and the old ones for steel. For a tapered thread, it's always best to taper the part being threaded, especially with the fine MTP threads. The excess chips get bound in there quickly and the excess heat causes the brass to expand into the back clearance of the die. Can you say SQUEEEAAAAL
I think my problem has been technique. I'm making changes and the last 1/4" thread went better. I'll try the Moly-Dee. I use it on steel threads.
Thanks Bruce,
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.