building rail cars

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

makinsmoke

Re: building rail cars

Post by makinsmoke »

There is no reason why anyone with rudimentary wood and metal working skills( the latter being cutting and drilling) cannot build their own rolling stock to whatever level they are technically able or what detail level they wish. All you really need are ready to run trucks and couplers, and some standards such as coupler height.

Simple plans from Model Railroader or other publications will give you the basic dimensions of the superstructures. Build a steel frame from 1" angle and tubing and 1x2" tubing. All can be cut with a bandsaw or hacksaw if needed, drilled and bolted together. Or you could buy a frame kit from Mountain Car or Cannonball.

Another way to go is to buy the on line plans from Jim Conner's Discover Live Steam site for a convertible car. A flat basic car with seating, with a boxcar or refrigerator superstructure that is removeable. That is probably the best idea for entry level folks I've seen in some time

The trucks and couplers are right because you didn't have to machine them. Install on a good, standard frame and the rest is up to you and how much time and effort you want to put into it.

Just my two cents,
Brian
dryan3165

Post by dryan3165 »

Harlock wrote:What scale and gauge? Narrow gauge or standard gauge? Old timey wood stuff or modern steel cars?
1-1/2 scale standard gage steel cars
chooch

Post by chooch »

A lot of builders(and myself) use a Model railroad scale rule using the HO part of the rule for 1.5" scale.
Absolutely perfect build with your sense / determination of size. A little off the Full size loco, like maybe within an inch in some Large body/frame places should not matter much.
My opinion. Windows, doors and smaller details might have to be `eyeballed` to look more realistic.
(artistic license) :-)
As said, take some photos and measures. I have done that with three different GP`s and none are exactly the same.

chooch