New Ride - anybody know where it came from??

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

New Ride - anybody know where it came from??

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Just brought home this nice little Ottaway to join the Backyard Railroad. The prior owners were never able to find a serial number, or determine who first owned it - except that it may have been built and originally delivered to a New York state amusement park in the late 1950's. The locomotive has several modifications from Herb Otaway's production cycle, that make it distinctive - a lot of detailed bolt patterns around the front face of the smokebox, a bronze engine number 9 round medallion casting on the firebox, bronze hand rail on the lower smokebox door, etc...

Anybody remember the engine in its original habitat?? I would love to pin down its early history.
1950's Ottaway - emerging from the rain forest in 2015
1950's Ottaway - emerging from the rain forest in 2015
image.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
Thanks much,
Glenn
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
image.jpg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
gcarsen

Re: New Ride - anybody know where it came from??

Post by gcarsen »

Glenn,
are you interested in another, its a 4-4-0, I have been asked to help liquidate it,, looks lo be a good chassis mechanically, boiler looks ok at a quick glance. tender, and a couple extra sets of trucks I believe,
Grant
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Grant, pretty tapped out, but maybe. Can you Pm me with photo or two and some details regarding who built it, gauge, age etc?

Thanks
Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Glenn,
just brought it up as your in Washington, and the engine is here in Oregon! it is 12 inch gauge as I recall.
will get some pics of it and post them.
Grant
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Turns out this is Ottaway # 1065, first sold to James Harris in Wappengers Falls, NY on March 11, 1950.

At some point in the mid to late 1950's Mr. Harris sold the loco to Mr. Frank DeSantis, a noted and accomplished live steam pioneer who was one of the founders of the Adriondaks Live Steam Society (ALS) . Mr. DeSantis rebuilt the loco, adding some distinctive modifications which allow positive identification today, such as the windows in the front of the cab, hand rail and bolt detail on the smokebox, and engine number 9 side lights on the headlight.

In the early '60's Mr. DeSantis sold the RR to Lawrence S. Griffin , a Burlington Northern RR engineer, living in Everett, Washington. Later a fellow who operated a mini golf concession in Bellingham, Wa purchased the RR and set it up with a wooden trestle and some elevated rail to run around his put-put golf course.

In 1985, Mr. Edwin Todd of a Port Orchard, Wa purchased the train and had the boiler rebuilt. He operated the train at his home until this year, when I purchased.

So, it's great to find out these details. Particularily as the loco is in pretty good condition, after all these years. A real testament to the skill, expertise, and dedication of each of the prior owners.

I like to think that documenting the history of these locomotives is a way to pay tribute to the hard work and dedication of those who have made it possible for all of us to enjoy building and operating miniature locomotives today.

Postscript: here are a couple of nice photos I just received of the train, taken 1965.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Attachments
Cinder Ella in the snow
Cinder Ella in the snow
Last edited by Glenn Brooks on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chooch

Post by chooch »

Glenn Brooks,
Very interesting historic story about your locomotive "Barn" find. Must have been some exciting every time you found a little more info about it.
All good luck getting it to look and run as you would like.

chooch
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Chooch. Yes, it is amazing how one can uncover the history of these early day locomotives. Very exciting to fill in the pieces of the puzzle. I think of it as Internet Archaeology. And sites like Chaiski offer a venue for preserving the information so it doesn't get lost every time a locomotive changes hands...