Container shelving layout suggestions

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Container shelving layout suggestions

Post by steamin10 »

Nice Greg. I would love to have such a setup on my swampland. The local Building Nerds, herd everybody to post and beam Industrial Buildings, that have no character. I do not find your structure anything but practical.

Because they tax on value, (pricetag) they wont approve of my builds with such a high rate of salvage, making the builds much cheper than market values, so they block me up front. It is only the state law that says homestead owners are EXEMPT from such codes, that get me by. So at every turn , they attempt to raise taxes.

At present, they are trying to tax bird housing that is waist high, and impossible for human habitation at AUX Building, tax rates, as for a garage. What is the tax for a doghouse?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I get along pretty good with the building inspector here. Tried to convince him this was temporary, as it was only a roof over the containers. Turns out you need to get a permit to move the containers onto your property. Opps they'd been here 5 or 6 years by then. Lets not get going on building codes, the powers that be decided you can't live in a mobile home in this county and a house has to be over 1200 square feet.

Greg
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Watch out for the Devil Dog, Greg!
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Greg, it is much the same here, 1080 ft min, no temporary structures, (Mobile Home), and play Captain may I, all the way. I went to state statues and beat them there, with all the file and section numbers for what can be done. Pole buildings are taxed at a rate far below a block building (here) because it is temporary. Asphalt drives, are cheep on taxes compared to concrete drives. Go figure. They consider me a smart ash, and wiseacre, because I quote paper law. They dont like me much. I dont care, follow the law, and I am happy.

By the way, a double wide with some variations to house standards, are perfectly legal, on a foundation. No axles or wheels underneath. Somehow the name of the duck, makes it different, in waddle or quack. I dunno.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Harold_V wrote:Also, be aware that containers are generally sold because they have outlived their useful life. Left exposed to the elements, it's entirely possible for the roof to start leaking, where the container has been damaged and water puddles.
I'd agree that most containers are as Harold describes. However around here, for additional cost, you can get single use containers. Shipped from China full then sold, after unloading. Almost always in new condition. At auction last week here used 45' - 53' containers were going for $1500 - $2500. 40' single use containers sold for $3000 - $4000, if memory serves me.
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Shelving guys.... Looking for some shelving solutions...

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 »

I have a 40' container, two standard gauge tracks down one side with a shelf over them and one track down the other side for larger narrow gauge equipment with a higher shelf over that track. This setup gives a good walkway down the center and I can easily reach anything on the shelves. I also thought if I need it I can put tracks on the shelves. As to condensation I don't get any in mine, but it is pretty full, not a lot of airspace, also I have a roof over mine to make it look like a station. It works so well I am planning on getting a 20' to use as an engine house, the shop is getting too full trying to store engines in it.
Brent