New Kozo Shay Crankshaft material

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shayloco

Re: New Kozo Shay Crankshaft material

Post by shayloco »

climaxdk wrote: When I first read Kozo Hiraoka's first book (describing to build "The old Shay") I was impressed by the method of making the crankshaft. I just could not see, how I could place the three vital holes in each end of the workpiece with a suitable precision. The next book ("The new Shay") didn't help much.

I made the crankshaft mainly to see if it really was so easy - and it was - but I still have a part build Climax locomotive waiting to be finished before considering the Shay.

Svend Aage
I used a dividing head to make the centers for the workpiece ends. That was straightforward. That is, if you own a dividing head.

Interesting that you are building a Climax, then a Shay. I made the Kozo Shay in a ten year period. I just got my Climax steaming after six years. It is much more of a Bob Reedy Climax than a Kozo, however.

As for how much time to make the crankshaft, like Jim I don't keep a log of the time spent on my hobby. However, I remember that it took 2 weeks of evenings to make the crankshaft. Say 2 to 3 hours times 14. I would guess that means 30 to 40 hours.

I am not a machinist. I did not work with any regard to the time spent on the crankshaft. I just wanted to get it done the best that I could without making a move with the tool that ruined the part. I was lucky, I succeeded on the first try.

I will mention again that most of the credit I give to Kozo Hiraoka for providing step by step directions on such a complex part that allowed me to make that crankshaft. Without his directions I would not have been successful. I would not have attempted it.

Harry: I suggest you take a good look at the Kozo Shay crankshaft drawings/instructions and I am sure you could apply the ideas to the crankshaft you wish to make.

-Larry
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks Svende but I was blocked from the site.

Bruce
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

shayloco wrote:I suggest you take a good look at the Kozo Shay crankshaft drawings/instructions and I am sure you could apply the ideas to the crankshaft you wish to make.-Larry
Larry,
I'll make a mental note to do that when I get to that job.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Here we have my "Center Drilled Piece" in the CNC rotary indexer, in a custom cut, machinable collet. I called the top through hole(18mm center), which is on center line of dog and workpiece, Zero or Home. First peck on 6mm center(eccentrics) was 70.5 degrees (90degrees minus 19.5 degrees); Back to Zero; Second, peck 289.5 degrees; back to zero; first peck on on 18mm center at Zero; second peck 180 degrees (crank); back to zero third peck, 120 degrees; fourth peck, 120 degrees. Back to zero. In the photo, "zero" is close to 12 O'clock. I used the same program to drill the dog but clamped to a faceplate. I have pinned them together and they fit perfectly. I bought this indexer at a surplus shop in Burbank. The box was in one section of the store and the indexer itself was outside in another junk box. I brought each to the counter separately and asked how much. I got the two pieces for $45.00 total. I took it home plugged it in and found a way to manually advance it. In a few weeks I got a manual from the internet, poorly translated from Japanese, I might add. It was and still is missing the hardened pin that engages the collet, therefore requires super tightening of collet when in cutting mode. Drilling is no problem. I used it for years to cut motion picture lens mounts until my custom made cameras were displaced by digital. It goes crazy once in while. That's why I send it home to zero so often. I can usually get it to recover by running the program over and over until it goes to zero again but it rarely does that. For an amateur, self taught machinist, this thing is fun to use and the price was right. Howard V., you were right my iPhoto program was not actually downsizing, it was only cropping. Thanks!
Bruce

1.jpg