On Discovery Channel

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jessebanning

On Discovery Channel

Post by jessebanning »

Here is the link to the episode that aired last night that my shop, the Eureka, and our railroad was on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfmizG5Lw8

www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
Pontiacguy1

Re: On Discovery Channel

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I couldn't get that link to work.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:I couldn't get that link to work.
It has been corrected.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Jesse,

What about your model of the Eureka? Did you ever get it finished?

JD Johnson, Morehead North Fork Railroad Historian
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

JD, the 2.5" scale Eureka is in running order but I need to finish the detail work. I should have it wrapped up but February. I have 3 Locomotives I finishing by years end.

www.littleengines.com
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Been recording that show for weeks waiting for this episode to air! Nice representation of the hobby. I wish they had given you some more air time with some live steam in it! I really admire the craftsmanship that takes place in a lot of these type shows (American Chopper, Tanked etc.) but the self imposed drama sometimes makes me want to turn off the TV! Definitely some guys that know how to fabricate and build some cool stuff! I guess the general public wants the drama and I fear that they still have no idea what it takes to pull off a build of that magnitude. Still hard to imagine that taking place in 10 days!
When was the last time the full sized Eureka was out? Are there any plans for another road trip?

Peter
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

Peter, Eureka runs every year here at our track/museum in Boulder City Nevada for first 3 weekends of December. We are loading her up Thursday to taker her out.

www.littleengines.com
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Can I please have the show title so I can search for it?
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Cool but.......I was bored. 50 % of the show is a lot of exterior shots of Vegas. The fake reality stuff is 90% crap. Cool to see Dan and the Eureka, but in some of the shots even he looked like he was thinking "what the heck is up with these guys?"

In fact Discovery channel only had one show in the top 150, and that was Alaskan Bush people, currently the top show, with only 3.6 million watching out of the current 321,216,397 population of the US.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

All the more reason to shut the thing off, and retreat to the man cave and make chips. If you are a TV addict, put one in the shop so the mindless chatter can fill your head while you work.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
John_S

Post by John_S »

steamin10 wrote:All the more reason to shut the thing off, and retreat to the man cave and make chips. If you are a TV addict, put one in the shop so the mindless chatter can fill your head while you work.
I put mine on M*A*S*H and make chips. Still the best written show of all time, even with the underlying message of the series.

Discovery Channel, to me, has become "popcorn TV" where you take 41 minutes of your life, turn your brain off, and relax and watch other people struggle to succeed at something (see: Gold Rush).

I know what I can do, but sometimes it's fun to watch others try.
streamlinedhudson
Location: summers San Juan Island Washington, winters Southern California

Post by streamlinedhudson »

Hi Jesse
This is off topic of the Discovery Channel but I didn't have any other way to get in touch with you. As you know Jack is now working on my Hudson and because we changed to the streamlined version with the disc drivers I've had to redo the rods. I've completed the connecting rods and started on the main rods and I found a major discrepancy as to the center to center distance for the main rods. The main rods you machined are about 15.25 inches center to center ( I haven't indicated them yet), the plans call for the distance to be 14.75 inches. As you had the locomotive running on air I'm tending to make the new rods the same distance as the old ones you machined. My question is why the difference and do you recall why the rod lengths were changed. This is a fairly significant difference and I had Jack check the drawings you had to see if there were any notes on them but nothing was noted. I'm hoping you can recall what the difference was all about and whether I need to worry about the difference. Glad to hear that you are up and running at your new shop. You can contact me at my old email address drdiener@pdcourses.net. Regards Doug