LBSC locomotive "Ancient Lights"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: LBSC locomotive "Ancient Lights"

Post by gwrdriver »

From Greenly, 1924.
Attachments
GREENLY1.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
xo18thfa

Post by xo18thfa »

This fellow has a Canterbury Lamb going quite well. A well built 2-2-2 should do fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ4IZb58t44
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That's really neat to watch. If I recall correctly, the Canterbury Lamb is a small 0-4-0, about the same size and weight as a Tich would be.

I would like to know what the grade is that he was pulling. I noticed at one point he pushed down on the top of the boiler for a little while to gain some traction, and the locomotive was slowing down, so it appears that he was adding quite a bit of weight to it.

Judging by that, on the same track I believe a 2-2-2 would have a difficult time pulling a rider around, just based on the available traction. Once you got it going, you'd probably be OK on a level track. I'd like to see if anyone has one that they actually run, and maybe a video of it. It would be neat to see. Those smaller locomotives are pretty awesome. I've seen pictures of a 1/2" scale 0-4-0 pulling a person around, so I guess it's quite possible.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Back in the 70s & 80s there was a fellow by the name of Oscar Hueter (spelling?) that had a Lamp(Invicta) that ran on our 3 1/2" track at LALS. It was tiny but pulled him and his son. When the son was young he rode belly down on the flat car and Oscar would sit on a bridge over him. Later they traded places and I think his grandson got in on the act in later years. I believe he is gone now. He was from the San Francisco Bay area and I believe belonged to the Golden Gate Live Steamers. There are many photos of this loco and it drivers. Cary
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I 'learned how to run a steamer' behind a 3/4" Tich. - most challenging loco I have ever run.

It would pull 2 people around a fairly level track.

Still would if I could be bothered to dust it off...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jma1009

Post by jma1009 »

the youtube clip posted by Bob of Will's Canterbury Lamb is on the Bournemouth track (UK).

LBSC designed and built quite a few single wheeler locos in 3.5"g. the most famous is probably his 3.5"g LBSCR 'Grosvenor', for which sadly he never published the drawings.

if i remember correctly LBSC's own railway, his 'Polar Route', had brass rails.

there is a lot to be said for a single wheeler. it has far less mechanical friction and for size can develop more power. it would appear to defy all the rules re adhesion, and again for size the drivers grip pretty well.

cheers,
julian