annealing cast iron

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

annealing cast iron

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I need to anneal a gray iron wheel. What temperature do I need to take it too? And for how long?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
OddDuck

Re: annealing cast iron

Post by OddDuck »

Heat to non-magnetic (mid-red), and then put it in a bucket filled with perlite or vermiculite to cool slowly. Be careful if it has spokes, if it heats unevenly the stresses could crack the spokes. You will hear a ping if one cracks.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

If you are having trouble machining it due to a hard spot, slow it way down (50-60 RPM or back gear) until you past the hard spot. I had to do that to a couple of my wheels. Someone at the foundry took them out of the molds too early.

Karl
www.karlkobel.com
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

I had to anneal my truck journals for my shay. Luckily, I was able to use a furnace at work.
I wrapped them in Stainless foil and heated them to 1700 - 1800F. Held them for 1 hour for each inch thickness of the heaviest section of the casting (at lease 1 hour), and then furnace cooled.

It worked great and machined like butter.

Hope this helps,
Brian
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Thanks Brian that is what I was looking for.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.