A question for the 3/4 scale guys.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Weibel

Re: A question for the 3/4 scale guys.

Post by Weibel »

cp4449 wrote:"At one time in Montreal we had two concentric loops of highline. The newer one was four rails to accommodate 3-1/2, 4-3/4 and 5 inch gauges. The biggest problem is that the ties are very wide and engineers would hit the back of their legs. "

Would not have that problem if they ran straddle cars like they do in Europe.....
I can think of so many reasons why I would prefer those.
High among them would be a lower high line track.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Imagevime 20070617 09 by Peach James, on Flickr

(3 1/2" Caribou here on Vancouver Island's track, the passenger is a bit bigger now...)

ImageBrit3MLS by Peach James, on Flickr

The MLS 3 1/2" track, some 16 years ago. (so the subject is now ~23 or so, I'd think...). Time flies when you are having fun !

James
Marty of FWF

Post by Marty of FWF »

James,
The cute factor of the first photo is just over the top.
Thanks for sharing.
Marty
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

cp4449 wrote:"Would not have that problem if they ran straddle cars like they do in Europe.....
The majority of highline engineers in Eastern Canada and Northeastern USA ride sidesaddle ever since the hobby started in NA 90 years ago (circa 1925 for my family) I doubt it will change.

There are no 5-in gauge locos in the Montreal club, I don't recall there ever being any. The extra rail was added for visiting engineers from the Ottawa club but it was under used.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

riding on 'straddle' cars makes 'switches / interlocks' interesting...not impossible...just interesting...

all this controversy over 4-3/4 vs 5 and 7-1/4 vs 7-1/2 could ALL BE ELIMINATED if everyone just converted to 3-1/2 and was happy.

but then to whom would McD's sell DOULE QUARTER POUNDERS with EXTRA MEAT and EXTRA CHEESE?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

tsph6500 wrote:
cp4449 wrote:"Would not have that problem if they ran straddle cars like they do in Europe.....
There are no 5-in gauge locos in the Montreal club, I don't recall there ever being any. The extra rail was added for visiting engineers from the Ottawa club but it was under used.
These are both reasons we ended up with our 6-rail superhighway in the sky. We had 2.5, 3.5 and 4.75, with no real 2.5 operators and a great 4.75 ground-level where all the 1" guys run. So, trying to improve the 3.5", Greg and I started rebuilding. The peanut gallery suggested we add 5" so our Winnipeg friends could run. Great idea, especially since they loaned us some things we needed to do the rebuild. Then a British expat suggested we haul the public on straddle cars, and to make things as stable as possible, add a 7.5" rail. So here we are, 6 rails, 5 gauges, and 1 member that runs on it using the 3.5". If we'd stripped things down to what was essential, Bill is correct, we could have done 3.5" and forgot the rest. Design by committee, but it should still be fun and hopefully we'll get more activity.
John Brock
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi
Also riding side saddle , if you Derail or go through and open switch ,you can jump off , a lot easier . Pat WLS
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle....the Brits would argue that as a safety item YOU NEVER NEED TO JUMP OFF.

with their 'straddle cars', they say it is not possible to get center of gravity far enough 'off center' to require anything except sitting.

Been there, done that...lost argument..resorted to Guinness to re-establish peace!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Side saddle works better for ladies wearing dresses.

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

THERE YOU GO...next time a LADY in a DRESS wants to sit side-saddle and maybe get her 'knickers in the friggin brake riggin' as Jim used to say, I will be happy to invite her along for the ride.

Cannot honestly say the last time I saw a lady in a dress on a high-line riding car....cannot say never seen it...but cannot remember it

Had a Mennonite family for a ride on the ground line at WLS in 2014 - mother and daughter in dresses...with the 14 year old son at the throttle.

Heck...he could drive a farm tractor...
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

We had a bagpiper in a kilt playing his pipes while riding side saddle. Does that count?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

why does that not surprise me...????

Under other circumstances I might ask 'good legs?' -> but not here.

reminds me of Jim's definition of a Scottish gentleman -> one that CAN PLAY the 'pipes -> and DOESN'T