Steamed Hams

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tom Miller

Re: Steamed Hams

Post by Tom Miller »

There is also Lou Soibelman's 2-10-4 at LALS.
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

WA1QFP here but have not been active for a long time. Operated RTTY mostly.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Gary Bonine wrote:A few years back there was a photo of a 1.5" ( 1.6") scale model of a Texas and Pacific 2-10-4, this locomotive seems to have disappeared . Does anyone know the current status of this locomotive ?
Also, does anyone have a spare copy of "Engineering Handbook for Recreational Railroaders" by Nick Edwards and Chet Peterson that i could purchase ?
Gary Bonine
Still available from RRSC. Book that is.

Jim B
KB1TOW
Last edited by rrnut-2 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Joe Scales built a 2-10-4 using RR supply Mikado parts, and scratch built trailing truck.
It was pretty nice, he sold it years ago.

Tim
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

It would be interesting to get a steam tractor or truck going, install radios and go steam mobile. Go camping and keep batteries charged with the wood fired steam engine.
Patio

Post by Patio »

KB6ZNP, I have the gear but nothing is set up at the moment. It might mean I am inactive. hihi :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
cp4449

Re: 2-10-4 Texas

Post by cp4449 »

We have a Texas locomotive here at LALS in 1.5". Owned by Lew Soibleman's son. Lew had it built. When it arrived at the track, it straightened a few curves out....

Oops did not see the post above. There also was Jack Sessums' 1" Texas. The family still has it
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

Started my first live steam locomotive (tender) in 1939 but the engine wasn't finished until 1979. Ran it regularly for a number of years at PLS. Got my ham ticket in 1950. Been active in both hobbies until recently when physical limitations brought an end to live steaming, but am still active on HF and 2M.

The two hobbies seemed to go well together!

73, Bob - W3NE
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day all from down under like wise I still hold my full call VK2DJ first licenced 1970 at a time when just about every body built there own gear it was a challenge to build it and put it on air although I did get the odd call from the local Radio Inspector for spurious emissions at the time I could not afford expensive test equipment , I have not been active for 8 or 9 years instead playing with model steam trains I built my first loco in 1990 a freelance 2-6-0 at the time I was still into ham radio it took 10 years to complete , I have been to Dayton Ohio a couple of times for the convention I am hoping to visit the US again on a steam train crawl ,i went to the UK last year an attended the Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition .
I do not know weather or not there are any exhibitions in the States that would be worth going to if so some body
could advise me
73s Gary
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

KL1YO If it is still active....

wa6mdi

Post by wa6mdi »

Still active on the air daily and maintaining repeaters etc. Also have hf in the car. But not as active with live steam as I would like.

Dick Melcher
wa6mdi
Coppell TX
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Tom Miller wrote:I have been an amateur radio (HAM) operator since 1968. I seem to recall a group called steamed hams that got together once a week to talk steam on the air. Does anyone know if they are still around?
Tom Miller
K7YMX
Hello Tom !
You are talking about "Scotty's group that was pretty active in the 90's
Charlie Breback out of Chicago and one of the Andre brothers out of Diluth Minnisota.
There were a few others as well. I think when Scotty died ( and Charlie too ) it just folded .
My friend Dave Black here in Wisconsin was part of the group, and I will ask him tonight.

Rich