Model T&P 2-10-4 and book

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Gary Bonine

Model T&P 2-10-4 and book

Post by Gary Bonine »

A few years ago I ran across a photo of a 1.5" (1.6" ?) scale T&P 2-10-4. I have always wondered where this engine went and what is its current status. I would love to this model run; I used to see the full size ones all the time in my younger days.
Also, does anyone have a spare copy of "Engineering Handbook for Recreational Railroaders" by Nick Edwards and Chet Peterson that I could purchase ?
Thanks,
Gary Bonine
Marty_Knox

Re: Model T&P 2-10-4 and book

Post by Marty_Knox »

Dick Thomas built a Texas; I don't know what happened to it. I think he donated it to a museum. I believe Railroad Supply still has the manual available.
Gary Bonine

Post by Gary Bonine »

Marty, thanks.
Over a period of 3 - 4 months the latter part of last year I e-mailed and called Railroad Supply a number of times. There was never a response.

Gary
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've heard that Joe Scales built a T&P 2-10-4 that was up for sale on DLS several years ago. It was supposed to be fixed up to look like the 610 did when it was being used in the Southern Steam Excursion program back in the 70's and early 80's.

I don't know if this is true or not... just passing along what I've been told. If someone has some pictures, I'd love to see 'em.
nickco201

Post by nickco201 »

Here is a photo of Joe's 2-10-4 at the Michigan Central RR in 2006 before it's detailing was finished.
Attachments
Sou610.jpg
Gary Bonine

Post by Gary Bonine »

Thanks for the information. Just a couple of hours ago, via telephone, the guy I talked with thought it had ended up in British Columbia. Wonder if there is more than one out there ? The photograph I saw pretty much had the T&P front end completed ( feed water heater, air pump shields etc ).
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Both Dick Thomas and Joe Scales built identical 2-10-4's using common castings that they had made. Joe's 2-10-4 is in SE PA. There has been no talk about where Dick Thomas' engine wound up.

Rob Gardner