railroad ties

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

chooch

Re: railroad ties

Post by chooch »

Yeh Dick Morris, Creosote would be pretty good, can`t get it here either-US.

But, so would the OLD treatment chemicals be IF you could get ties treated from a place that does it for piers, docks, sea walls and I think farms. Heavy "in ground" treatment better than what you buy now from big box stores.
These treatment places are Exempt from the newer rules and chemicals. I know in my area I can get ties with the Heavy treatment.

Being a City park and the Enviro people and "sue me" happy folks, you have to be very careful now days.
chooch
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

Chooch, I will try again to answer you post. I don't know where the message I wrote went as it didnt apend itself to the forum. so here goes again.
Yes we have several people that have made donation of size, The city has also kicked in placement of road base leveled and ready for track layiing. They also bought steel rail so that I could weld up track to cross drive ways and sidewalks and they cemented them in place. I wanted plastic ties as they will last almost forever, the ties are priced right but the shipping is terrible. So to save money the management decided on treated wood ties. As was mentioned before notching the ties for tie plates will hold gage very well, tie plates are farely cheep, I wouldnt waste my time cutting sheetmetal to protect the rail from treated wood. I do have a very well equiped machine and welding shop with sheetmetal equipment, box & pan shear roller notcher etc. I could aso make a die to use in my punch press to make tie plates, but at 82 years of age I don't have the desire. I will build a tie notcher after I recieve a couple of photos for ideas. Since Jan 1st I have built 2 working bottom dump hopper cars, 1 gondola, 2 sets of disconnect trucks for logs, and 1 flat car.
Thanks for the input

Paul
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

Paul,

Here is the router table that the CALS uses.

Let me know if you need more information.

Bill
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

Bill, thanks much I appreciate the photos. Russ at Train mountain is also going to send some photos. Between the two notchers I should should come up with something that will fit our buget and space.

Paul
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Even though we use plastic ties at LALS, there is a creosote substitute for us who like the wood look:

ABOUT WOODLIFE® CREOCOAT®

Give wood a solid-black protective finish with Rust-Oleum® Wolman™ WOODLIFE® CREOCOAT®. This unique formula contains an insecticide and nearly double the fungicide of standard sealers. It’s an ideal substitute for creosote-based coatings.
EPA-registered, insecticidal preservative prohibits termite damage, rot and decay.
Inhibits surface growth of fungal organisms: mould, mildew and staining fungi.
Imparts a solid black finish when applied as directed.
FOR BEST RESULTS

Ideal creosote substitute – provides a black look for landscape timbers, railroad ties, farm fencing and more
AVAILABLE SIZES

1 Gallon
5 Gallon
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member