Klamath Loco Works

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mark Landgraf

Klamath Loco Works

Post by Mark Landgraf »

I believe these folks are out of business, can anyone confirm this?

Where did the inventory and patterns end up?

Who is the proprietor?

Thanks,
Mark
Pipescs

Re: Klamath Loco Works

Post by Pipescs »

In putting my parts together for a PS-4 Pacific I chased after leads on them for a couple of years only to finally give up. I believe they are gone.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Someone in one of the Oregon Live Steam clubs might know... You might have to track down who the club reps are...
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Klamath loco works, Locomotion, Rodgers-Cook locomotive works, Power Model Supply, L.S. Manufacturing, and probably another 2 or 3 that I can't think of right now... All gone. All of the parts/patterns seemed to disappear into a black hole after the death of the owner. They had some really great stuff, but I don't think you'll find any of it any more unless someone happens to have something sitting under their bench somewhere that they'd be willing to part with. Good luck finding it.

That's why my philosophy has changed over the past 10-15 years. If a supplier has something available and you want it, you'd better go on and get it while it's still available for purchase. You never know if or when it will all just vanish.
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Some or all of the the Power Model Supply tooling, patterns and molds were sold on Ebay. Little Engines got most or all of the compressor tooling. After the disaster I was out there, some of the tooling was off site and unaffected by the fire.
I made an unsuccessful attempt to purchase the tooling. I opened boxes that came back from the foundry and had to explain to Mrs. Ellis and her son what parts the tooling made.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

As howard stated, I got most of the compressor/pump patterns some in complete as the parts were lost in the tragic fire, I got several of the detail parts, Baldwin Bell, handels, blow downs which are incomplete, some of th Falk #1 patterns are around but I forget who has them

I tried to buy out Don at Klamath towards the end before he passed away..but he got mixed up with the guy in Canada (we all know who) and it did him in..he ws trying to recover what he could but not sure he ever did, so sad to say there gone untill there is an estate sale and some one finds the stuff that can identify and sell it and not just through it away

I also was able to purchase the molds from 2 other suppliers a few years ago which included, Number Boards, Timken and SKF covers, Wilson blow downs, 3 different generators, head light, cab light, brake wheel, hand rail stanchions stoker parts, door hinges, chain clevis, lifting rings, wing nuts, class lamp brackets etc all of which I produce today

I have tried to pick up tooling when I can so it is not lost forever and folks can still benefit from it being around

I talked with Bob Holder about a year before he passed away and he told me his son was going to take over....? oh well we can not save them all

Mike
Little Engines
Howard Gorin

Bob Holder,Rogers Cook Locomotive

Post by Howard Gorin »

I talk to Bill Holder, Bobs son. Bill told me that the Rogers Cook tooling and inventory is tied up because of a disagreement in the value of the estate. Then there is the stuff left over from the demise of The first Mercer Locomotive Company. At least one Mercer side frame has reappeared and is now sold by Plum Cove Studio.
RICHK

Post by RICHK »

Where is (was) Klamath locomotive works located?
Has the son, Bill made any efforts to continue his fathers' business?
How might I reach Bill Holder?
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

RICHK wrote:Where is (was) Klamath locomotive works located?
Has the son, Bill made any efforts to continue his fathers' business?
How might I reach Bill Holder?

RICHK

You have 2 companies mixed up here...Bill is Bob Holders (Rogers-Cooke Locomotive Works) Son, he has /had nothing to do with Klamath

Klamath is what became of the original East Caost Locomotive Works that Ralph has/started

Don bought it and moved it west..and was then destroyed by the fellow in Canada..Dons son was no help to try and save this stuff so it is gone
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Who was the guy in Canada?
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Howard

Mercer Locomotive Works was never DEMISED Has been in business since 1976 Thank You
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Trainman4602 wrote:Howard

Mercer Locomotive Works was never DEMISED Has been in business since 1976 Thank You
...And I believe you (Dave S. / Mercer Locomotive Works) have the old LS Manufacturing patterns.
Thanks for that "rescue"!
~RN