3/4"Kozo A3.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Steve Bratina

Re: 3/4"Kozo A3.

Post by Steve Bratina » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Keith is a master at the art of rebuilding.

backyardrails

Post by backyardrails » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Yes he is. The A3 was running very well on Sunday.

Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:57 am

And this Saturday, you will be running a Reading A5!

backyardrails

Post by backyardrails » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:19 am

Yea, and I will be bringing something else. :wink:

Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Tojours frais?

elm53

Post by elm53 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 am

So going back to my originally question,are there only 2 A3 engines that have been built that are successful runners? Not a good ratio of built to running.

WJH

Post by WJH » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:55 pm

elm53 wrote:So going back to my originally question,are there only 2 A3 engines that have been built that are successful runners? Not a good ratio of built to running.
Think there are many hundreds started, where people got burnt out on making the tender, ever before getting to the locomotive! Kozo is incredibly talented but his design on the tender is much more labor intensive than it needs to be! If people would start the project on the locomotive, and perhaps make it a saddle tanker, you'd see a lot more! I stopped mine because I got burnt out, but instead of starting back up with it, I realized that I really should stick to 7.5" gauge.

kvom

Post by kvom » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:41 am

The cost of brass for the parts can be excessive. There is no reason steel cannot be substituted liberally.

There is one really nice A3 that I see at Cabin Fever running on air. I doubt it's ever been fired, but the craftsmanship is superb.

sncf141r

Post by sncf141r » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:41 am

WJH wrote:
elm53 wrote:So going back to my originally question,are there only 2 A3 engines that have been built that are successful runners? Not a good ratio of built to running.
Think there are many hundreds started, where people got burnt out on making the tender, ever before getting to the locomotive! Kozo is incredibly talented but his design on the tender is much more labor intensive than it needs to be!
George Lovett, when he was alive and was running his TH&B Hudson (just one of his fleet of locomotives) told me, "when I purchased my Hoffman Hudson castings, I got about set #300 sold in Canada. I've only seen two completed". He had no idea how many sets were sold in the USA and elsewhere. What's that - maybe 1% completed in a timely manner??

It seems that every swap table has frames and parts for locomotives from (sometimes 2-1/2" gauge) to 7-1/4, (or 7-1/2") gauge. Someone even gave me locomotive parts found in the trunk of a training junker car used for training "Jaws for Life" for a volunteer fire department.

A friend is just completing a Brit Stirling Single, from his notes over 3,000 hours into it. At (say) one hour a week, that's approximately 60 years timeframe, fortunately he attempts to put in about 20 hours/week.

Not to put a damper on enthusiasm, but it does take a lot of time, especially if you are bent on making everything yourself.

(note, I'm finishing up a Kozo Shay, and attempt to make EVERYTHING, including hex bolts, boiler fittings, etc, etc, except pressure gauge, but might make one of those before I call the locomotive finished. To me, that is the fun of the hobby - making something that looks really nice, but I do accept and understand those who make things that move, whether it is a box on wheels, or an award winning masterpiece)

elm53

Post by elm53 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks to Bernie,Wayne.John,Gregg and UKLocoNut for answering my question. :D :mrgreen: :wink: I guess I may be getting old...maybe impatient or maybe I just expect a posed question to be answered directly and concisely as possible. my question was simple...does it run reliably at a track, and is there any video. That was the question short and sweet .the other stuff was irrelevant or repeated the question a little differently 3 times. :? :shock: :(

daveb

Post by daveb » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:20 am

I have an A3 I purchased about a year ago. The first time I steamed it things went very well. It was a short run because of the track(under construction) That first run was using Welch Coal.. Since that first run I have tried steaming 4 or 5 times. Each time I had problems. First it likes Welch coal and I could not keep a fire going with other types of coal.. I then had a water feed problem(piping) and then a check valve problem. This engine does not have a high priority with me because I'm in the final stages of building the Kozo new shay but the A3 is ready to go and will probably get it to a track in the next couple of weeks. I now have a good supply of Welch Coal.

Last week I steamed the shay for the first time using a torch. Boiler steamed well but I have several steam leaks one of which was in the steam chest of cyclinder 2. Only one way to get at that, a real pain. The engine itself would barely run(could be because of steam leaks) It ran very well on air.

Where are you on your shay?
Dave Barker
Kennebunk Me
Waushakum Live Steamers & New Hampshire Garden Railroad Society

steamingdon

Post by steamingdon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:10 am

It`s WELSH COAL :wink: from Wales. A country in the U.K
steamer