Question for the European live steamers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

cp4449

Question for the European live steamers

Post by cp4449 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:18 pm

I have a Boxhill 0-6-0 in 1" scale. It has Hook and Chain couplers. Can you pull a riding car with these style couplers, and if so, where do I purchase the hook and buffers for a riding car?

Thank you
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member

sncf141r

Re: Question for the European live steamers

Post by sncf141r » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:01 pm

I've got two "European" locomotives, with another on the way.

You don't want to pull with a hook and chain coupler - use these for decoration, and replace it with a solid "eye" with hole vertical. Use a solid tie bar between your locomotive and your riding car. No buffers required on riding car.

The back hook should be very easy to remove - make an "eye" replacement, and, keep the original hook with the locomotive for show/etc.

I have actually had a chain break once on a small locomotive, much smaller than a 1" Boxhill, believe it or not.

I use M6 bolts to hold a doubled up solid tie bar (two bits of approx 1/8 x 1/2 flat steel, 1/4" holes drilled near ends, ends rounded off, one bit goes on top of eyes, the other bit underneath. I do cross-drill for one of those hitch pins the M6 bolts, just so the nuts do not unscrew when running. My riding cars have equivalent eyes on the front of the car, same height as the eye on the rear of the locomotive)

cp4449

Post by cp4449 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you. Could you pm me a photo or two of your arrangement? Thx
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:31 pm

what is described is what I have done on Tich and Juliet..without the M6 (used #10 UNC).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

jma1009

Post by jma1009 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:18 am

Hi cp4449,

I have nearly finished a 1.0625" scale Terrier, Stepney.

The drawhooks will be ok, but not the coupling links. GT Thomas worked out in ME some years ago the theory and stress maxima for our scale drawhooks.

My rear drawhook is extended as per fullsize back to the rear axle. It would be very awkward to swap it over with a clevis type drawbar. In any event I have also made a 5"g LBSCR wagon to go behind, and this also has proper drawhooks, and chains, which will be used to attach to the loco.

Most UK clubs are aware that scale drawhooks are not always easy to substitute for passenger hauling with clevis type drawbar. So they usually require some means of preventing the chain links from overriding the drawhook.

Cheers,
Julian