Hunslet draughting issues

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BryceGTX

Re: Hunslet draughting issues

Post by BryceGTX »

jma1009 wrote:Hi Bryce,

You really ought to read all the available UK Rugby Test reports of British Railways of the late 1940s and 1950s. These were mostly draughting tests under the watch of Sam Ell.

These were tests on fullsize locos.

They surpass Goss and Young in the USA by a considerable margin.

If you have not read the Rugby Test reports (most are available online now) I would humbly suggest you do so, and reflect.

They require modification in miniature which Jos Koopmans has done, and he has also reformulated the Ell mathematics and formulae into something that can be easily understood and applied.

Personally, I would regard Jos's work as one of the most significant achievements in miniature locomotive design in the last 60 years.

It's significance and application has been used in the UK and Europe for 10 years. I do not quite understand why our USA cousins do not embrace it and use it!

I think the main problem you have, Bryce, is that you have never built a miniature loco, and argue things to the limit of toleration from an armchair! Those of us who get covered in smuts and oil deserve a bit of tolerance from you!

I have redraughted miniature locomotive smokebox designs applying Jos's work all over the world from Australia to South Africa and also for a few friends building UK designs in USA. Plus many in the UK.

Semantic arguing gets us all no where.

Read all about Sam Ell then come back to us with either a demolition of his thesis and principles, or agree with us in the UK and Europe!

Cheers,
Julian
That is fine that Sam created something that you find acceptable. Once again, you also are assuming that something you are doing in Europe trumps anything done by others. The US had easily millions of successful locomotives. When you have that number of engines, it is not just dumb luck. These engines were incredibly powerful even down to zero cutoff. You don't generate that kind of steam with poor front ends. Rather, I applied the principles of US and others front ends to Fred's problem. And if he applies them, his front end should be fine.

You are also suggesting that Sam's research somehow is more relavent than either Goss or Young which seems a bit presumptuous.

My discussion of the 1/6 1/3 is based on the seat of the pants efforts of many modelers on this forum. Theory support what these guys find. My locomotive design is based on their efforts. However, you are arguing European design against US design. For this, you must be intimately familiar with US locomotive design. If you simply throw away the front end and replace it with a new design, you will never learn what was originally wrong with the front end. Fred specifically asked for anyone's thought on his design. I am anyone..

My issues with Jos has to do with his application of his math. Porta knew his math was incorrect. He even explained the source of the error was probably due to pulsations. Jos uses the similar calculations that Porta used. And of course Young disagrees with both.

So there is no question that simple momentum calculations cannot be used to design next generation front ends or even to explain old front ends.

So what we are left with is simple equations and ratios to design front ends. This is exactly the solutions that Porta despised. Ratios do not scale properly when blast angles must be accounted for.

Clearly, if your calculations do not include the minimum blast angle, then you are forced to use simple ratios of sizes for design. Perhaps eventually, I will release all of my simulations. But I do not accept Jos explanations of things. Perhaps his latest explanation of angles illustrates the point.

And his suggestion that anyone believes fairy tales illustrates his typical attitude of anyone that disagrees with him. Lol.. The best in this thread was "travesty of momentum". This is hardly an answer to a technical discussion.
Bryce
Last edited by BryceGTX on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 17 times in total.
BryceGTX

Post by BryceGTX »

Fred_V wrote:
BryceGTX wrote:
Fred_V wrote:Julian, I have that tapered iron casting I pictured in another post. It could be cut down and fitted inside the Hunslet stack along with the chunk of steel made into a petticoat.

The green lines are a 10 deg. cone that hits the wall of the stack just above the taper part. The choke would be 1.825", nozzle .438" dia.
Hi Fred, it might be instructive to place the 1/3 cone in the drawing. If the stack base diameter is decreased, you will have to check if the blast nozzle needs to rise.
Thanks,
Bryce
The 1:3 cone hits just above the choke. The taper of stack liner above the petticoat is 1:12.
That sounds good. Other researchers have shown that a tapered stack at the base results in the same results as a larger stack similar to what you had originally had. Perhaps it won't make much difference with or without the taper.
Thanks,
Bryce
JJG Koopmans

Post by JJG Koopmans »

Bryce,
Apparently you see it as your goal in life to totally misrepresent my ideas. I reserve the rights
to myself only to explain my ideas about the functionality of textbook fluid dynamics in model steam locomotives. It is a free country, you are entitled to your ideas. However I am entitled to mine which I constantly verify against fluid dynamics publications on the web and 1:3/1:6 is not to be found there!
BryceGTX

Post by BryceGTX »

JJG Koopmans wrote:Bryce,
Apparently you see it as your goal in life to totally misrepresent my ideas. I reserve the rights
to myself only to explain my ideas about the functionality of textbook fluid dynamics in model steam locomotives. It is a free country, you are entitled to your ideas. However I am entitled to mine which I constantly verify against fluid dynamics publications on the web and 1:3/1:6 is not to be found there!
Sorry you see it this way..

However, to suggest that 1:3-1:6 must be in fluid dynamics publications seems a bit of a stretch considering the design strategy is so unique to front end design.

It seems by the focus of your book and of course Julians's comments that US Locomotive design is maybe poorly represented.

I highly recommend you read the book "American v. English Locomotives" on Google books. Perhaps it might give a different perspective.
https://books.google.com/books?id=P7dKA ... es&f=false

Prior to my first post, I waited for all to share their views. And I noticed neither you nor Julian recommended the front end baffle that is so prevalent in US front end designs. Perhaps we need to look at the reasons for this baffle.
Thanks,
Bryce
jma1009

Post by jma1009 »

Hi Bryce,

I dont think Fred needs an in depth scientific analysis of the various merits or otherwise of the available options. He just wants some help getting the draughting better on his lovely Hunslet loco. We can always re-open the other thread for such discussion.

It is after all not a USA design, so some input from outside the USA is perhaps very relevant. I have built 2 locos in 5"g /1.0625" scale and 1 in 3.5"g which have tall/long chimneys of proportionately small diameter, so I am familiar with Fred's problem. I also know the shortcomings of the original miniature Milner design having driven one on an almost daily basis for a period, and been involved in it's overhaul and re-design of the valve gear.

The 3.5"g loco was a miniature version of 'large' Hunslet LINDA of the Ffestiniog Railway.

Cheers,
Julian
JJG Koopmans

Post by JJG Koopmans »

BryceGTX wrote:....
However, to suggest that 1:3-1:6 must be in fluid dynamics publications seems a bit of a stretch considering the design strategy is so unique to front end design.......
Thanks,
Bryce
This is exactly your problem well defined, you do not wish to see a front end as a subsonic high volume ejector with all the fluid dynamics laws connected.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Gentleman, I think this discussion has taken a turn that is no longer beneficial to anyone so lets please let it end today.

I want to thank everyone for their contribution and I have learned a great deal for all of it. I have come up with a multi step plan to upgrade my draughting and I am sure it will be much improved from what it is now. I'd like to move on and start making swarf. I'll report my findings and manometer readings as it is now and after conversion.

Peace,
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
JJG Koopmans

Post by JJG Koopmans »

Yeah, sorry!
Kind regards
Jos Koopmans
BryceGTX

Post by BryceGTX »

jma1009 wrote:Hi Bryce,

It is after all not a USA design, so some input from outside the USA is perhaps very relevant.

Cheers,
Julian
So I cannot apply US ideas to European designs.. But everything you and Jos suggest based on European research can be applied to US locomotives..
Perhaps you might like to rethink this...
Bryce
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Please stop.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I don't want this to reopen a can of snakes but just to report on the latest findings. What started this whole thread was the fact that all my ash was blowing out the stack and raining down on the passengers and cars behind me.

The one thing that was never mentioned in discussion was the grates. I was using castiron grates from the UK that came with the casting set. The air gap was about .180" to .200" and the ash was not getting through that space and instead was going up the stack. Last week I made new SS grates with .300" air space and WOW, what a difference. The ash pan was filling up nicely and very little ash was going up the stack. I could see no difference in coal consumption or steaming. I'm a happy camper.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.