Drawings for MEG Steam "Wendy"....

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Re: Drawings for MEG Steam "Wendy"....

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Harlock wrote: I would recommend acquiring the plans for the Sweet William from Black Gates Engineering in the UK as a suitable alternative. It is essentially the same engine.

In addition, if it's too expensive to acquire castings from the UK, Allen Models cylinders are a suitable alternative, that's what's on mine. At the time MEG Steam was having porosity problems with their cylinder castings so the Allen cylinders were used on mine.
I am building a Sweet William engine and went the other route. I thought the Allen Mogul cylinders looked too American, and I wanted something that was more visually appropriate for a British engine. So, they were built up from a chunk of cast iron but it took over a year of machining to get it to where I needed it to be. If you are building your engine as more of an American style engine (perhaps similar to the MEG "Uncle Sam") then the Allen products would likely work well and be quicker.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

That's good to know about the cylinders. That's a question I haven't answered yet, but if the Allen cylinders will fit (no reason I've seen that they won't) and the castings are as good as folks say, then I'll probably save a ton of time buying them.

Thanks,
Pete
Just tryin'
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Thanks to some members here I now have all the drawings for the Wendy.

Now I need to figure out what the heck I'm going to build! I don't think my loco will be a duplicate of Wendy, Sweet William, Chloe, Kozo or Marie Estelle. I have drawings for all of them now. There is quite an education in those designs.

I find I like different portions of the different designs and will likely end up with a composite of all of them!

I've designed and built a lot of machinery in my life but never a locomotive, so I'm really looking forward to the adventure.

Pete
Just tryin'
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Pete:
I'll be interested in what you choose to build.
Expect a visit next time I'm visiting Steve @ the Beach Cottages.
~Russ
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

I'll be interested in what I choose to build also! I need to clear the decks before I start a new project; there's not even enough space in the 'shop' to start on one!

Please let me know when you're coming up, I'd like to visit and shoot the bull!

Pete
Just tryin'