Identify the engineer and location

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Re: Identify the engineer and location

Post by cp4449 »

skid-roe wrote:The engineer is Kenneth "skid" Roeh, the locomotive was sold to a fellow in Dunwoody GA in the early 1980's
Skid Roe are you Kenneth??? :)

Would like to know who in GA purchased it. One of my goals in life is to try to trace the old locomotives from LALS from years ago for a record to give to the club.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
ratsgarage

Post by ratsgarage »

Alright, with a little searching through a 1973 LALS Rooster I came up with the name of the guy that made the cars. Bill Devine.
back in the 70' and early 80's the cars used to be stored in the 1" roundhouse or at least in the yard area. They were built to be around 100 pounds each so you could pull something with your engine. Back then, most folks didn't have a string of cars to pull behind their engines. Fred Wilcox had a string of flat cars and so did Art Reiter, Joe Nelson had his Pennsy passenger cars but the rest of us folks had maybe a flat car or a gondola to drag around. By the mid 80's the powers that be around LALS didn't want the eyesores around the place or the liability either as they were an attractive nuisance for the local kids to hop the fence and push them around the place. Bill, through Rudy VanWingen offered them to RLS and they were out in Riverside till the 1" was ran off. The cars have been in Corona from then on. I believe there were ten cars at the most, seven box/tie cars and three tank cars. One disappear with Tom Wellbaum and somehow a truck disappeared off of one at Riverside. Leaving the eight total I have. The one missing the truck is still around sans truck and is in the railroad tie retaining wall at Joshua Tree and Southern. If you would like them back at LALS it could be arranged and a very fitting tribute to Bill Devine, and Rudy VanWingen for sending them someplace that they were somewhat spared a crueler fate. They certainly could use a paint job and as the couplers were made of tee slot bolts, new coupler blocks need to be worked up. That coffee can of coupler blocks hasn't been seen in decades. Make it happen. Brian
John_S

Post by John_S »

skid-roe wrote:The engineer is Kenneth "skid" Roeh, the locomotive was sold to a fellow in Dunwoody GA in the early 1980's
I've been involved in the hobby here in Georgia since the early 80s and I don't recognize that locomotive. No idea who bought it or where it wound up.