Chassis lubrication oil?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Chassis lubrication oil?

Post by Steggy »

Builder01 wrote:
NP317 wrote:I have successfully used way oil for all motion lube on my Allen Ten Wheeler.
It's especially good on the rod brasses (actually Oilite bearings.)
No measurable wear after 550+ real miles of operation.
~RN
Just wondering, is oilte to be recommended for rod bearings? What about 660 bearing bronze?
Oilite is not recommended in assemblies subjected to pulsating radial loads, such as would occur in the rods of a steam locomotive.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In my years of observation, I'm not convinced Oilite makes a good bearing for anything. Sure, they're used extensively, but they tend to be abrasive--wearing the shafts that run within. There are better choices.

Want a good bearing, something that will tolerate abuse? Use leaded phosphor bronze. It's a joy to machine.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

80W-90 Rear End gear oil... It is thicker so it doesn't run out as quickly, it has clinging properties and anti-wear additives, it is available pretty much anywhere, and is relatively cheap. Been using this for years and have been happy with it. My oil can pumps it pretty easily too.

I used to use 30 weight oil and most of it would run out of the bushings as soon as you've moved 20 feet or so. That's the way it was on my little Chloe locomotive. I switched to the heavier oil on it, and it helped it out. That locomotive was run a lot, had a pile of miles on it, and I ended up replacing the rod bushings, then after a few more years the rod bushings and the crankpins. The heavier oil would stay in place longer for me.

I don't think I would use anything thinner than 30 weight oil unless you're lubricating a small stationary engine or sterling cycle engine where the thicker oils might cause a problem.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

It depends on what scale you are in, as on my little 3/4" scale locomotives with their weenie little bearings.....I use 10w spindle oil.
Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I also use spindle oil on my tea kettles AND my 1/2 ton lumbering dinosaur.

None have oillite bearings..I personally do not like the stuff but it does work if used carefully.

in places I cannot get to easily for lube, I use Delrin AF.

Elsewhere I use phosphor bronze.

Crosshead bearing, which really takes a pounding -> Nylatron is a favorite.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:80W-90 Rear End gear oil...
Same here. Cheap and can be bought anywhere.