Coal Availability and the Future

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

H&NERY

Re: Coal Availability and the Future

Post by H&NERY »

The Tractor Supplies by me in Wiscconsin have nut sized coal and rice sized coal, I have bought some of both to try in my 1/4 scale Case, but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I thought the rice sized stuff would be good for by 3/4 inch scale locomotives if a I ever get one finished.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

LVRR2095 wrote:John, I can't comment on the coal itself.....but nut coal is pretty large sized coal. I don't think you will get in into the fire door of your 3/4" scale models.

Keith
HaHa, yeah, I was posting this for the 1-1/2" guys... (me, hopefully soon)
John
RRRoundhouse

Post by RRRoundhouse »

I wondered into a Tractor Supply Store (TSC) out here in Iowa and they had 40lb bags of Anthracite Nut Coal for $6 a bag. I don't know what it is equivalent to. I bought a bag to try sometime. It appears to be shiny and may have a trace of moisture in the bag, that is no dust.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

I'm wondering why TS would even sell coal? Obviously not for home heating in those 40lb sacks.. And the rice size coal? I'm thinking maybe for blacksmiths.. In that case, wouldn't this coal be ideal?
John
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

JohnHudak wrote:I'm wondering why TS would even sell coal? Obviously not for home heating in those 40lb sacks.. And the rice size coal? I'm thinking maybe for blacksmiths.. In that case, wouldn't this coal be ideal?
John
Here in Maine quite a few folks heat work shops and other outbuildings with coal stoves. Also a coal stove in a living room and kitchen stoves are still popular. Blacksmiths use bituminous coal.....not anthracite. The local hardware store sells bagged coal by the pallet.

Keith
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

LVRR2095 wrote:
JohnHudak wrote:I'm wondering why TS would even sell coal? Obviously not for home heating in those 40lb sacks.. And the rice size coal? I'm thinking maybe for blacksmiths.. In that case, wouldn't this coal be ideal?
John
Here in Maine quite a few folks heat work shops and other outbuildings with coal stoves. Also a coal stove in a living room and kitchen stoves are still popular. Blacksmiths use bituminous coal.....not anthracite. The local hardware store sells bagged coal by the pallet.

Keith
Yeah, forgot about the small coal stoves... (city boy here)
John.